If you see someone buying Bose Triport, will you stop him/her?
Aug 7, 2003 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Ahhhhh, I didnt.

It took place in Goodguys, I dislike majority of their salesperson (how they dress and all that), makes me look like a jerk sometime. I was acutally scurred to tell the guy that the Triport will suck. (if im in a store like circuit city, i will do differently)

Aug 7, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 22
Yes,but does it really suck is the question. I must say that the kind of people who trash these phones and those who then continue that vein (without even having listened to them) incites me to buy one myself.

They may not provide the sonic performance at the price compared to other offerings, but added with other parameters of the phone they might be worth it to the owner.

All these people saying that X is not worth the money is, to me, the same as a Subaru owner looking at a Ferrari saying "Yeah, I can totally burn that off for a quarter of what that idiot spent". If the guy is prepared to spend the money, let him is what I say.

Aug 7, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 22
Actually, the last time I was a Bay Bloor Radio, a place in Toronto, I actually helped someone buy headphones. Of course, Bose, being the marketed leader in audio technology, was his primary choice.. I stopped him cold. He never heard of Grados before, so I explained to him what they were about. He was interested in using them with a portable MP3 player, so I recommended the SR60s.

Aug 7, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 22
I once said to a girl who was obviously not decided what earbuds to get (she was in a shop switching from a pair to another, in the 15-20 $ range) to get the Senns MX500 who were priced at 18 $ I think... I received such a strange look and nothing else... she finally bought some Sonys.

Aug 7, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
All these people saying that X is not worth the money is, to me, the same as a Subaru owner looking at a Ferrari saying "Yeah, I can totally burn that off for a quarter of what that idiot spent".

Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand the phrase "I can totally burn that off"

Can you let me in on the lingo?

BPRJam

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Yes,but does it really suck is the question. I must say that the kind of people who trash these phones and those who then continue that vein (without even having listened to them) incites me to buy one myself.

They may not provide the sonic performance at the price compared to other offerings, but added with other parameters of the phone they might be worth it to the owner.

All these people saying that X is not worth the money is, to me, the same as a Subaru owner looking at a Ferrari saying "Yeah, I can totally burn that off for a quarter of what that idiot spent". If the guy is prepared to spend the money, let him is what I say.

If something is way overpriced, then it sucks (for most things). It's as simple as that. Btw, I have tried the Triports.

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 22
If I have my eggos with me, yes.
600smile.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 22
bangarmen--I guess I agree with your point about something being worth it to an individual despite it not being the most logical option, but I definatly chuckled when I read your hypothetical! I'd never heard of Bose being analogous with Ferrari!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 22
Someone I didn't know? Nope. Ignorance is bliss.

I find it hard to sympathize with someone who doesn't research a purchase like that - at least for the people to whom it is a big purchase.

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth
Someone I didn't know? Nope. Ignorance is bliss.

I find it hard to sympathize with someone who doesn't research a purchase like that - at least for the people to whom it is a big purchase.

Exactly. And even if you tried to help them out, they'd probably just blow you off and not be thankful. And I'm not going to stand there listen to the salesman tell me I'm wrong and Bose is god and argue with him. It's not worth it.

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 22
poeple should do thier own homwork before they buy. and headphone-enthusiasts are such a rare breed, that the person attempting to buy the Bose would probably figure you for a crackpot.

however, all efforts should be made to steer people away from Bose. Bose is devil-product. Bad ju ju.

Maybe just say something like "hey, I used to have those, but sold them because the sound didn't live up to the hype. A freind recommended ____ and they are a million times better"

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 22
If I see them at the checkout, no. But if I see them still choosing, I'll step in.

When I got my mom a HTiB I saw someone paying for Triports. While carrying the HTiB out, I saw someone else lugging a Bose Lifestyle 28 out.

Didn't do anything. Think about how you feel when someone calls your HD600 boring or your Grado's bright. That's what I would've gotten. That's why I didn't do anything.

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 22
Not unless I had something with me to show the difference with.

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
Ahhhhh, I didnt.

It took place in Goodguys, I dislike majority of their salesperson (how they dress and all that), makes me look like a jerk sometime. I was acutally scurred to tell the guy that the Triport will suck. (if im in a store like circuit city, i will do differently)

Friends don't let friends buy Bose. Or even total strangers.

Aug 7, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Gopher
bangarmen--I guess I agree with your point about something being worth it to an individual despite it not being the most logical option, but I definatly chuckled when I read your hypothetical! I'd never heard of Bose being analogous with Ferrari!
biggrin.gif

Well... You know what I mean. I was writing it hurriedly hunched over a palmtop keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back