If you live in NYC can you test many different headphones and music players?
Dec 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

goodsongs

Head-Fier
Somebody wrote on Amazon review of the H6:

Quote:
I have looked and researched. And because I live in NYC I have been able to go into stores and listen to the many: Grados (too big). B&W P5s: very nice looking but center alignment of the speaker to your ear is critical and too difficult. V- Modas (squeeze my ears and after 30 minutes I'm in pain), Sennheiser "momentum" (over ears; not so robust). I need headphones that are portable. They dont need to collapse- though that would be nice- I just cant have huge cans while on the subway or in transit. I look ridiculous (sorry Beyerdynamic) with big headphones on my head. I didnt try the Sonys because I have had bad experiences with wear/tear of their products and customer service that is so poor I cannot even consider them in my world.
The problem I found with several on ear small cans is that they dont block out noise enough for my liking. I have Etymotic in-ear headphones (ERP-4s) and they are great for that isolation but the bass reproduction is wanting. I have also grown disgusted with the MP3s (192mbps) coming out of my iphone. Im buying the Fiio X3 8GB Music Player. I bought these H6s to be their companion. They fit nicely on my head. They are comfortable. The sound out of them is BALANCED. Many of the cans I tried had bass reproduction that was ridiculously over the top. I want the music to sound like it was meant to be heard. These sounded wonderful. I listen to rock/jazz/pop. I dont listen to rap or angry heavy metal. I have 3000 CDs that I use as my source and am converting to ALAC files (that file type designation took a ton of research as well!)
I know B&O as being a very high end brand. I'm not a snob by any means but quite frankly the reputation of the company doesnt hurt in the least here. I know they will stand by their product. It will take a good 40+ hours of playing for them to break in and sound better and I accept that responsibility! They are expensive. My life is short and I dont want good anymore. I want great. These are them. Bite.

This made me want to move to NYC to be able to test the headphones before I buy them.

What are some stores in NYC that you can test many headphones? Or is there one in Boston? or any other big cities?

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 3
B&H, J&R, and ACgears. Not the best environments to test headphones at, but it is better than nothing. I'd recommend bringing a decent dap and portable amp at minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back