If you like Porcupine Tree, buy this now:
Jan 8, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
In Absentia DTS
Deadwing DTS

I only have Deadwing. It sounds amazing, but a little background first. These are NOT the same mixes on the CD versions. You MUST make sure you buy the DVD with DTS, NOT the ECD. I'm going to repeat that to avoid confusion, if you buy the ECD, you WILL NOT have the DTS track. These are special mixes that have both won awards at the surround sound music awards (2004 and 2005). The DTS track is 5.1 (obviously), there is also a DVD-A 5.1 track and a PCM 2.0 track.

I find the mix to be much more agressive than the CD versions. The articulation between the instraments is astounding. I also hate to use this word, but for lack of a better word: clarity. It sounds like a veil was lifted from the CD to the DTS version. The drums are also worth noting. It almost sounds like you are listening to 2 different tracks: the drums and everything else. The are so clean, yet unintrusive at the same time. Simply a stunning mix.

Plus, Deadwing has 3 extra songs, minishort making of, album trailer, photo gallery, and lyrics all on the disk as well. I'm not sure about In Absentia.

I have yet to find a store that sells both of them.

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4
yup, the DVD-As of these albums have been out for awhile; most Porcupine Tree fans have them or at least know OF them.

i don't think you understand EXACTLY what these are, these are DVD-Audio discs, not simply DVDs with a DTS track. the main selling point of these is the high-resolution DVD-A mix; although the DTS mix is quite good as well.

you should get a DVD player capable of playing DVD-Audio to take advantage of the high-rez mix.

(funny thing is, technically the CD/PCM2.0 should have better sound quality than the DTS track, since DTS is lossy.)

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 4
Yep, I own both of these. They both sound phenominal in 5.1 DVD-A, I believe they have both won awards for best rock surround sound release for the respective years they were released. The surround sound really adds a whole new depth to the album, definitely whorth buying even if you already have the regular cd releases.
biggrin.gif

On the question about the exact format of the discs, there are really three different formats of the album on the discs. For instance, on the Deadwing disc there are the following formats:
  1. DVD-A in both 5.1 and stereo (requires a DVD-A player)
  2. DTS in 5.1 (for those with a DVD player but without DVD-A support, it is lossy as pointed out above)
  3. PCM in stereo (which should be like the CD release, but still requires a DVD player since the disc is a DVD)

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Yep, the 2 best DVD-Audio discs available for sheer musical and sound quality. 'Arriving Somewhere but not Here' on Deadwing sounds incredible as you hear it build from the atmospheric start and the maracas and the guitar comes in, then the mellotron, followed by vocal harmonies....it just blows me away!

Hearing these albums in 5.1 gave me a totally new appreciation for the music. Surround sound was an afterthought with In Absentia, so they did a stunning job! Deadwing however was concieved with surround-sound in mind (hence the 'Best Made For Surround Album' at the 2005 Surround Awards) which makes it just as impressive a concept. I think it's fair to say once you've heard it filling the room in 5.1, listening to the cd doesn't quite do the music justice.

BTW have you all found the Easter Egg - a re-done version of 'Shesmovedon' in 5.1 with Mikael Akerfeldt doing backing vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back