If you have a DAP with digital out to external Dac
Jun 11, 2006 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Rockboxed H140 that I use with a MicroDac and MicroAmp. Rockbox has a number of DSP options. These are clearly useful if one is listening straight out of the headphone jack, but if using an external DAC, do any of you find any DSP settings helpful in improving sound quality?

Just cuious.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 9
i am pretty sure that the "eq" and "crossfeed" settings are indipendant of the optical output.

i couold be wrong, but it never had an efect on the optical output of mine.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 9
In case of iHP140 the optical digital out will transfer a raw "0" and "1" from your file without any audio post processing - no EQ, no DSP. You can always hook up an external equalizer from DAC anologue outputs.

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks; makes sense. I was always concerned about a possible conflict when using an external DAC, and disabled DSP functions in the Rockbox setttings; now I know I don't have to bother. It' s pretty obvious now that you explained it.

Learn something every day
580smile.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 9
Just came across this thread....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27
In case of iHP140 the optical digital out will transfer a raw "0" and "1" from your file without any audio post processing - no EQ, no DSP. You can always hook up an external equalizer from DAC anologue outputs.

The equalizer certainly does work with the optical out. I had been using it and when I came across this post I cranked it way out of normal range just to make sure, and there's no doubt it works. Try it for yourself. Don't know if the other DSPs work tho.

As for the 0s and 1s, doesn't the "D" in DSP stand for digital? I'm by no means even a novice on this subject but it is my understanding that EQ can be digital or analog.

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Sorry...there was a problem with the site; it gave me some kind of error and it didn't look like it posted.

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 9
Same thing.

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Yet again...

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 9
Man, this is getting old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back