If you had to recommend only one album?
Oct 29, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #136 of 146
All time recommendation:
Judas Priest - "Stained Class" As far as I'm concerned this is one of the finest heavy metal albums ever recorded. Awesome vocals by Halford, and excellent musicianship. Catchy as hell.

2005 recommendation:
The Lord Wierd Slough Feg - "Atavism"

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #137 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty Eight

Nice stuff, but the sound quality... Ewwww!!!

It hurts my ears, so I'm still looking for some listenable Chuck Berry (and Jerry Lee Lewis for that matter).

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #139 of 146
Paul K & The Weathermen - Love Is A Gas (1997)

Seems like I had this album on my wishlist forever, or since the end of 1997 when Scott Schinder, who was the rock music editor of Pulse! magazine at the time, named it one of his favorites of the year. Normally this wouldn't mean all that much to me, but the stellar company that this album was nestled amongst made me take notice...Bob Dylan, Belle & Sebastian, Yo La Tengo, Elliot Smith, Beth Orton and other favorites of mine. But, as is often the case with many of the albums I want, this one wasn't stocked in any of the stores I frequented at the time in my pre-internet world. I did run across the previous Garden of Forking Paths in the used CD store one time and grabbed it, and it is a good album, but it never struck me as quite the opus that Love Is a Gas was made out to be. Some excellent songs though, and his band is tight, tight, tight, with a great bluesy, soulful rock sound.

So skip forward a few years and I'm looking for something else on gemm.com and needed to fill up my shopping cart so took the opportunity to look for a couple other items on my wishlist (you know how hard it is to order just one CD!) and found they had a copy of Love Is a Gas for $5.95, so bought it, received it, and it looked brand new, although not sealed. But what a great album it is! Every song seems like a winner. For those not familiar with the sound, it's a little reminiscent of another guy that uses only a "K" for his last name on record, Tonio K. And his sound also has ties to Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, who's Moe Tucker produced and played some drums (along with Wilco's Glenn Kotche) and PK dedicates it to David Ruffin [Temptations] and Sterling Morrison [Velvet Underground], and comparisons have been drawn to Merle Haggard and especially Townes Van Zandt by others, and there's some of the Replacements, and also some of his musical brother, Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs. But K's songwriting and voice and guitar playing are still the big attractions. This is really a beautiful album of finely crafted songs with lots of guitars - highly recommended. I think it's still readily availble on the used market and for pretty cheap new in both CD and vinyl at the Alias Records site. I should have looked for it a lot sooner - almost sure to be a favorite well into the future.

Here's what the above referenced critic Scott Schinder wrote in 1997 ...

[size=xx-small]Criminally under-exposed cult figure Paul Kopasz writes seething, noirishly literate songs that underline his punk roots while demonstrating his innate grasp of more traditional musical idioms. This, his eighth album (produced by ex-Velvet Undergrounder Maureen Tucker), is perhaps his most eloquent effort yet, surveying emotional, moral, and cultural wreckage with an astringent intensity that marks K. as one of his generation's most compelling songwriting voices. - Scott Schinder, Entertainment Weekly (February 7, 1997)[/size]

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #140 of 146
I have two.

Belle And Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
A Perfect pop-record.

and

Weezer - Pinkerton
A Perfect pop/rock-record.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #144 of 146
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #145 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Just seems more fun to try and come up with some hidden or overlooked gem that maybe most people missed. I'm sure we all have a bunch of them that we love but that seem like no one else has ever heard of. Don't we? Just curious .....

eggosmile.gif

In trying to somewhat respond to the intent of this post, I'd have to recommend Buckingham / Nicks. (Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks) They recorded this album prior to joining Fleetwood Mac. Stevies voice is not as harsh as her later albums. This is probably as good as she ever sang. Some of the songs made it on ther next Fleetwood Mac album, but not all. I would consider this a lost gem. This was never released as a CD disc in the US. There are some foreign copies, but I don't think they measure up to a good album copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back