If you had to choose between your hearing or your eyesight...
Jun 27, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #16 of 61
I believe there would be something exceptionally... isolating... about being deaf. A type of separation from your surroundings and from other people that would be with you... always, and much more profoundly than not being able to see.

Today, I was playing realMYST for the first time. It is an exceptionally beautiful game, I can't believe I've let it sit unplayed for all this time. I was in the Selenetic Age, and I was walking around turning all of the radio transmitters on, and I stopped in the area where the singing crystals are. They were all very pretty, of course, but what really moved me were the sounds present in the area. I closed my eyes and listened to the movement of the water and the sound of the crystals, and it gave me chills running down my spine. It was incredibly beautiful. For a moment, it almost felt like I was in a real place, listening to real things.

Yeah, I'd much rather be blind than deaf. Being deaf might seem like the better option initially, but I believe in the long run it would really begin to wear on you. I know I wouldn't be able to take it after a while.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #19 of 61
i would definitely take my vision and leave my hearing.

solely because even though i love music,i love to read and take photographs as well.
not to forget its difficult to perform even the most basic of tasks without sight.

either one would be completely horrifying though, i sincerely hope no one here would have to go through that kind of experince.

the hobbit

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd lose the hearing, that way I can still ogle beautiful women. And I wouldn't have to listen to them!
very_evil_smiley.gif

This man is a genius.

/end thread.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 61
Gee; I'm already down to just one eye. I'd really hate to loose that since I've got too many other interests that requires lots of reading.

As much as I would really hate to give up my music, my wallet and I would be better off if I still had my eye.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there would be something exceptionally... isolating... about being deaf. A type of separation from your surroundings and from other people that would be with you... always, and much more profoundly than not being able to see.

Today, I was playing realMYST for the first time. It is an exceptionally beautiful game, I can't believe I've let it sit unplayed for all this time. I was in the Selenetic Age, and I was walking around turning all of the radio transmitters on, and I stopped in the area where the singing crystals are. They were all very pretty, of course, but what really moved me were the sounds present in the area. I closed my eyes and listened to the movement of the water and the sound of the crystals, and it gave me chills running down my spine. It was incredibly beautiful. For a moment, it almost felt like I was in a real place, listening to real things.

Yeah, I'd much rather be blind than deaf. Being deaf might seem like the better option initially, but I believe in the long run it would really begin to wear on you. I know I wouldn't be able to take it after a while.

How would you even go about playing the game blind? At least you could play it if you were deaf (though the railroad tracks might be a little though :p).

I'd much prefer keeping my sight. At least I could watch movies and play games with subtitles on. I could still read and write. I could communicate with people using a chalkboard, or electronically.

Try this....live your life one day with earplugs in your ears. Live the next one with a blindfold. See how that goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

How would you even go about playing the game blind? At least you could play it if you were deaf (though the railroad tracks might be a little though :p).

I wasn't talking about about playing the game per se, it was about the beauty of sound and being able to hear, and how important it is to me.

I'm still sticking to my assertion that loss of hearing has more profound psychological effects in the long term than loss of sight.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #27 of 61
While this thread is depressing since losing either would be horrible. My eyesight is just more useful on this planet even though more joy comes from my ears.

Team survival first... pleasure second
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 61
Yea I couldn't live without sight besides you can always read lips for talking....

Another sense that would be hard would have to be touch...

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I couldn't live without sight besides you can always read lips for talking....

Another sense that would be hard would have to be touch...

Well touch would be the worst, because touch is basically your whole nervous system. If you didn't have touch, then you would lose all other senses (except maybe sight). Don't know if it's possible to lose touch without being completely paralysed.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd lose the hearing, that way I can still ogle beautiful women. And I wouldn't have to listen to them!
very_evil_smiley.gif

QFT!
AHAHAH AWESOME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back