If you had to choose between your hearing or your eyesight...
Jun 27, 2007 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

EsthetiX

1000+ Head-Fier
Which would you choose, completely 100% blind or completely 100% def?

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 61
I'd choose sight. I think it would come in more useful in our daily lives than hearing would. I'd still be able to do most basic stuff such as cook and go to the shops.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 61
my friends and i have this conversation all the time. i consider myself more musically inclined than the average person, and i think keeping hearing would be more important for me.

comparing being blind to deaf: i imagine being deaf would be completely scary. you'd have to completely learn a new language (sign) and all that kind of stuff. while being blind, sure you can't see. however, i have not been as affected emotionally as i have been by what i've heard.

music is a necessity in my life, and not being able to experience it would be nothing short of torture.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 61
I'd choose hearing. I've actually spent way more time than anyone ever should thinking about this exact question. So yeah, I know that I could live without my hearing and things would be real tough without eyesight, but I simply value my hearing so much more. If I think about my life without sight, I see problems melting away. If I think about my life without sound, I see one depressed individual.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 61
I would want to retain my sight. I believe that I would be much more or a burden on others if I lost my sight versus hearing.

Pretty horrible subject!

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty horrible subject!

LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 61
I think losing my hearing would be a lot more emotionally damaging than losing my sight.

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 61
I'd much, much rather be deaf. I can't imagine being blind. *shutters*

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 61
I would rather be deaf I guess. In that case I can still take photographs and look at my boyfriend. Or look at the trees when fall comes in. Or maybe even perhaps look at my first born child. Yeahh, I'd definately would prefer deafness, although I will miss that too.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 61
I would rather be 100% deaf than 100% blind. I'd say you experience more of life with your vision than with your ears (I feel my brain gets a LOT more data/information from seeing compared to hearing) and I feel the world would suddenly feel very small and shrunken down if I lost my vision. You can still communicate with others using sign language or simply writing on a little chalk board or something.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #15 of 61
I see many valid arguments to both sides. I just wanted to bring up a point not mentioned. With hearing at least you're able to interact with average human beings in a natural way. Not being able to do this would be devastating if you truly think about it, humans are a very social being. That said, I still lean toward the gift of sight, although in a way, it's almost just as isolating if not more.

...I kind of like the way azure put it about the world becoming shrunken down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back