If you had $400 for an amp, what would YOU get?
Dec 15, 2003 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jono3642

Head-Fier
If you had a cool 400 usd right now, which amp would you get?

It would be great if you could include two, one tube one solid, up to you!

I will leave my choice for later, want to see what people come up with without my suggestion biasing.

Remember this isn't about me it's about you, we are assuming we have a good source and good headphones, include the headphones you use if you like.

Dec 15, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 15
SS: PPA, Emmiline XP7

Tube: Single Power PPX3

Some are a little bit over your $400 limit
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't know the tube market in that price range so I can't comment. I would get a used Gilmore V2 personally, depending on what you had for a source for it. The Gilmore's can be tough on a poor source since they will let you hear exactly what it's putting out! :
evil_smiley.gif
By the way, one thing that would be nice to know is what set of headphones you'll be using with the amplifer.

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 15
For solid state, I second the XP-7. I heard both at the Chicago meet, and liked the XP-7 better (but not by a LOT, in fairness). I'm getting a TON of use out of mine, and it's good for both higher end (my home rig) and lower end (my work rig) applications.

On the tube side, don't forget to consider the MF X-Cans. I believe that the V2 is still available, and the V3 is supposed to be quite nice (although I have not yet heard it). I've not heard the PPX3, but my familiarity with Mikhail's fine products leads me to conclude that it would be a fine choice as well.

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Although the XP-7 runs 500 for battery only power and 200 more to get it with a power supply so you can plug into the wall so I'm not sure it belongs in the $400 amp section. You're also going to have a hard time finding them used, because there aren't that many of them out there yet.

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 15
Right, don't forget the new X-CANv3, which is getting good reviews, the Creek OBH-21E, and the HeadRoom Little More Power or HeadRoom Little Premium.

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 15
i am disenchanted with the HeadRoom stuff, which is all i've owned, so i don't have a thought on anything else.

tube, on the other hand, MAD Ear+. price point gets complicated. if you build it, then the kit price comes in under $400 with the cap upgrades. if Dr. Peppard builds it, and you're willing to wait the 4 weeks, then its a bit under $500 delivered.

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 15
I agree that a nice DIY is the way to go for solid state at this price. For tubes, I'd probably choose the ASL MG Head, assuming that you couldn't find something more interesting that is used.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Solid state would be the Gilmore V1 or V2 (used).
Tubes would be any amp by Mikhail. (used or new)

Dec 15, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Where can you purchase Singlepower amps? I searched on Google but was unable to find any sites (besides this one) who had them or even heard of them.

Are they done by a DIY'er on these boards? Does he have a website with various models/information?

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 15
You can do a search in the amps forum or look through all the meet threads and find info and pictures of the amps. Search under Singlepower SDS, Supra or MPX3 or PPX3. If you want to contact Mikhail you can email him at sales@singlepower.com or PM him through this site.

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #15 of 15
I think you will find that most people who own tube amps will not say that tuberolling is a problem. It's a plus. Also I think most people find out through forums like this which tubes work the best with there amps and stick to one or two different sets of tubes. In 7 months I've tried about 4-5 different combos of tubes that only involve three different brands of tubes.(two of which came with the amp) Total time spent rolling tubes is maybe 15 minutes. No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back