If you had 250-300$ in your pocket....
Oct 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #17 of 23
One last question...really leaning towards the DT770s at this point.

Magicman74: I saw you post on a number of occasions regarding the bass from the DT770 and how they are not overpowering. Now given that I don't appear to have any store in my general area (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) to try them out, I need to know if and when I watch a movie or what not, that the not bass aspects will still come through clean. I guess I'd be referring to the lows/mids/highs.

I sadly know little about those things and am relying on my extensive research and audiophile recommendations to make my selection.
Will sound be as good watching something like Pacific Rim as it would be if I was watching Fried Green Tomatoes (not that there is anything wrong with that! That was first movie that came to mind. LOL)

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 23
  AKG K550
Soundmagic HP100
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 770 annie.

The AKG 550 were actually at top of my list at one point, but based on what I have read they are more so intended for softer sound styles as opposed to Rock/Heavy Metal that I would tend to listen to. So I started to look into other headphones that would encompass all I like. (Movies/Music and games on occasion)

Then again I am unedgumacated in the art of audiophilism...yeah I can make up words. :wink:

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #19 of 23
The AKG 550 were actually at top of my list at one point, but based on what I have read they are more so intended for softer sound styles as opposed to Rock/Heavy Metal that I would tend to listen to.

I wouldn't say that about the AKG K550 at all. It's much more about listener tastes in headphone type than about what music fits certain genres. There are some exceptions. If you like bass heavy EDM, you probably wouldn't like a headphone that doesn't have any sub bass. And certainly Grados have a reputation for being good for rock and metal because of their transient response; but some people don't like them for that.

Now given that you want to use these for movies, I would choose a headphone that has decent sub bass response as special effects in movies tend to get a lot of emphasis in the lower frequencies. DT770s will give you a little extra bass emphasis over a linear response.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 23
The DT770s really excel with some extra power to drive them. I tried the DT770 80 ohm with some portable devices, and still thought it needed a headphone amp to really bring out the bass.

Since receivers tend to like higher impedance headphones, get the Pro 250 ohm. Then get a headphone amp for using them with your iPad.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 23
I was actually looking into getting an amp anyways. Just to ensure I get proper output to HPs

The suggestions that MagicMan74 wrote up are all things I am considering as that all works within my budget.

Now to check out the Deals Thread first for DT770s (if I can be so lucky) then check out how much $ I got left in the end.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #23 of 23
Except, know that you don't need pricey cables like that. Expensive cables offer very marginal improvements in sound, if any at all. $40 worth of cables for a $65 headphone amp is a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back