If you drink soda, what is your favorite tasting "chill"?
Mar 6, 2006 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Quado

Banned
I've been going through a weird "tasting" phase, with relations to how the drink is chilled... I've remembered that certain "chills" had tastes that were somewhat different--in the past--and now I'm 100% sure that chilling your canned drink in the freezer, with ice in the cup, or ice chilling it from the outside...nah, maybe not 100% sure though....are each just different in taste presentation; though of course there are combinations I haven't tried yet (like putting with ice around it, then with ice in the glass before drinking it...or putting ice around it AND putting it in the fridge/freezer, then with ice in the glass...lol I'm getting too analyitical with these combinations, and the tastes won't be that different from each other, compared to what I mentioned above, but you can figure out the rest). If the drink gets too cold and watery/frozen, then it would definately lose some flavor... I don't know if it's just me, but I think just chilling the drink with ice around it....seems to bring out the most flavor (probably because of the germy "flavor" of the ice transferring to not just the liquid, but the actual air in the can....I'm sure that the changes of air in the can gets more "tart", but everything just stays smooth and everything seems to not alternate its temperature, compared to just freezing it)? I don't know...just experiment and tell me something... I have no idea what the heck I'm talking about. lol
tongue.gif

Edit: I think putting the stuff in the freezer mostly chills the air in the product, and doesn't spread the temperature and keep it as constant as much as with ice around (with ice around, the WHOLE drink seems to be cold...kind of hard to explain...like the ice just evaporates into the can or something...). Also, ice tastes less than the freezer air smells...
blink.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 14
Glass-bottle-chilled-in-a-bucket-of-ice-chill FTW.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Yeah, I barely drank those glass ones for some reason... I remember the stores would never have them or something a long time ago...but NOW they do...heh. I've probably only put them in the freezer, and never really got the best of it...actually the specific bottles I drank probably had less "flavor" than the canned ones...wait, no no, it was the carbonation and actually tasting the tip of the bottle! that's what was different, along with some other stuff like probably where the bottles were made or ingredients or something (the things are more expensive than cans and come in less amounts...but it's worth it if you can find them...).

lol, I didn't know what FTW meant...so I searched and got this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Oh, I didn't even answer my question... I made it seem I liked the ice thing the best...but, I think I'm really just used to putting a can in the freezer since I've been doing that for years... (Edit: There's only been like a handful of times I've tried the ice around can thing...lately I've been using ice though if I can't wait for new cans to get cold...when I put ice in a glass, it makes me want to drink two cans of soda instead of one though...and all that extra water might be better for me... I think this whole thing is just a variable process, I'll just do what I feel like doing, because it really doesn't make that much difference in a way). OH yeah, I forgot...a little cool method I tried out awhile ago is putting ALL the soda in your garage (if you have one) and in the winter, tee-hee, it get's cold enough (well at least for me) to drink right from the can, or maybe I'd just leave it for awhile in the fridge/freezer (it's a faster process in a way).

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm usually satisfied by just sticking the can in the fridge with the temperature setting all the way up.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 14
freezer's the best, although i tend not to leave it in there for too long. if i do, the soda will freeze over and could lose a whole ton of carbonation if opened. icing it won't give it that iced effect, but it sure isn't cold enough for my tastes.

i say that anything that comes in a can and fizzes should be served as cold as possible without losing the fizzy integrety of the drink. just my $.02

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 14
I like lots of ice in my soda--the more the better. Most soda tastes too "syrupy" to me, so watering it down helps, not to mention the melted ice counter-balances the dehydrating effects of caffine better.

Funny story: Once I went to QFC to buy some 20 oz sodas, but then I had the brilliant idea of buying a 2-liter bottle and inserting it into the "wine freezer" device. It's basically a barrel of ice-cold water that you insert a bottle into and it chills it super fast. Anyway, I don't buy 20 oz'ers from QFC anymore.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 14
I must say that I have done extensive research on this. The best Chill I have achieved is in my little dorm fridge. If I turn the fridge all the way down it just gets to a perfect temeperature. All the pop and gatorade I put in there comes out with a few mm of slush on top as long as I don't leave it in there for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Its so icy cold I can't even describe it. The soda is just on the edge of completely freezing its nearly impossible to drink. The only problem is I have had it take up to a week to settle at the right temp. ITs a very deilicate chill that requires patientce and temp control

I do have to second the glass bottle in ice too. It provides a nice medium chill, but if you are looking for deep space absolute zero I can't recommend it.

My third recommendation? This prob comes right before the glass bottle actually. I like the frosted mug chill. Leave some good hardy glass mugs in the freezer. Pull out and place a semi chilled or even just cool beverage in the container. Many times there will be a layer of frozen beverage that forms on the inside of the glass. I can't recommend this enough if you need a quick chill on a not so cold drink. I use it with rootbeer mostly

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Some idiot forgot a can of soda in the freezer compartment at work.
It exploded.

We now have a nicely worded policy prohibiting the practice.
tongue.gif

BW

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Some idiot forgot a can of soda in the freezer compartment at work.
It exploded.

We now have a nicely worded policy prohibiting the practice.
tongue.gif

BW

Yep, main reason I avoid the can in the freezer chill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back