if you could start your system over
Apr 9, 2005 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

eastside504

100+ Head-Fier
If you could start your head-fi system again what would you do?
Will you stop at a certain setup?
Go right to the top system?
Nothing, do it all the same again?

I think i would stop at my first setup. Av710 --> headroom little -->hd580. That setup only cost me $250 and i would say give me 90% of the sound quality i have now with my current setup which cost $1500.

So what would you do?

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 31
Spend more on the source, and maybe try some stax.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 31
Considering my current financial status, I'd have stayed with my initial investment (A900s/iPod) for much longer than I did--I'm sure I'd eventually have done the upgrade thing , but hopefully post-college. Not having a rainy day fund kind of hurt me.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I wouldn't change anything, except maybe to go directly to my current setup, skipping all the incremental upgrades I did.

I thought most people would give this answer. If we all started at the top, we could have gone even higher with the money saved on trade ins!

OTOH, it is fun to be able to hear successive improvements.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
OTOH, it is fun to be able to hear successive improvements.

Good point. I don't think I would/will be enjoying my current setup as much if I didn't go through and hear the improvements after each upgrade.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 31
If you let me star over, I would shut down the computer......LOL.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Well actually I should have taken that offer I recevied for the R-10 long time ago, instead of all the middle ones I got in the menawhile, it was about $2700.00 for a new pair....at that momnet I could afford it, right now I don't even think about it.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 31
Seems to me the trick is knowing what kind of sound you really want. It takes experience living with a system and changing things around, upgrading, etc., to acquire that knowledge.

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricks584
Seems to me the trick is knowing what kind of sound you really want. It takes experience living with a system and changing things around, upgrading, etc., to acquire that knowledge.

You're quite right, it took me quite a while to realize "I listen to rock, therefore I need tipped up bass/treble" was a load of BS. Or that the music I listen to is too poorly recorded to benefit from great gear. Now I've got some of the most brutally transparent cans and source around, and I couldn't be happier. Go figure.

Apr 9, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
You're quite right, it took me quite a while to realize "I listen to rock, therefore I need tipped up bass/treble" was a load of BS. Or that the music I listen to is too poorly recorded to benefit from great gear. Now I've got some of the most brutally transparent cans and source around, and I couldn't be happier. Go figure.

Right. I listened to rock on Quad 63's for years. (Still got them but need to get them fixed.)

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #14 of 31
Not much... Maybe buy my DT770 used instead of new. Take the $80 saved and put it into a better amp. I do like my AT-HA2 though IMHO a very good little amp for the $$$.

Garrett

Apr 9, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Not much... Maybe buy my DT770 used instead of new. Take the $80 saved and put it into a better amp. I do like my AT-HA2 though IMHO a very good little amp for the $$$.

Garrett

I always wondered about that amp.Isn't that the one that gos for around 70 bucks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back