If you could own only 3 Ambient albums...
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #46 of 60
good thread. thanks for posting everyone

(and agree about minimalist electronic music. some electronic music does prescribe to traditional meaning of minimalist music but the term is so widely used now it has pretty much lost all meaning.
if anyone is curious check out the wikipedia article for a general idea of what is used to mean
Minimalist music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There would be Brian Eno, that's one thing for sure.

I have been a Eno fan since a summer job in a record shop in 1973. However, recently I've began to find a lot of his work is begining to sound dated ... and don't get me started on the plethora of mediocre collaboration albums.

If I were forced to choose an Eno album then it would be No *****footing.

My current 3 favourites would be :

#1 The Field - From Here We Go Sublime (ambient house)
#2 The Balustrade Ensemble - Capsules (ambient folk?)
#3 Johann Johannsson - Fordlandia (film-score ambient)

I'm still waiting for a hardcore minimalist to choose three copies of the same album
regular_smile .gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #48 of 60
Too difficult to list 3 I couldn't live without, so here's 3 I'm currently listening to:

Machinefabriek - Dauw
Svarte Greiner - Kappe
Lawrence English - Kiri No Oto

All of which are simply amazing.

Someone mentioned Hannu a couple of pages back. I must concur
smily_headphones1.gif
Just heard some of the new one as well, and that sounded really worth getting.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

Monolake is QUINTESSENTIAL techno. Not every song does well on a dancefloor, but dancefloor-compatibility hasn't been a criterion of techno for decades. Just ask Basic Channel.

808 State is NOT techno.

"Minimalist" as applied to electronic music is nearly as meaningless as the word "Experimental" when applied to rock music. Besides, as far as electronica goes, Monolake is not very minimal. Robert Henke's solo work, however, is.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit rough, but I don't like to see misinformation propogating about my favorite genres.

What?! I've listed 5 Monolake albums I have and they are not techno at all. 808 State is Techno. If it isn't then what is it?

Tags for 808 State – Listen free and discover music at Last.fm

In big bold letters, TECHNO.

Tags for Monolake – Listen free and discover music at Last.fm

First selection for Monolake is "minimalist", again in big bold letters. You are the one spreading misinformation so don't contradict me again when you don't know What you are talking about.

And furthermore...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_music

Techno is a form of electronic dance music (EDM)

You remind me of when I asked the young girl at the record store where the electronic section is and she said we call it Techno now. They had all their electronic music listed under Techno. Of course I told her that was wrong and that techno is EDM and if anything the modern generic term is Electronica. I've been listening to electronic music since Kraftwerk's Autobahn was first released so know what I am talking about.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 60
Last.fm is not the authority on genres. The tags are user-submitted. If enough people said that Monolake was Polka, it would show up. You are cherry-picking resources.

For instance, discogs.com agrees with me.

Discogs describes 808 State as 'Electronic, Jazz, Rock, Stage & Screen, Hip Hop, Pop, Non-Music, Funk / Soul, Reggae, Blues, Latin, Folk, World, & Country'.

Try this - go to Robert Henke's website and see how he describes his work as Monolake. I suspect you may see the term 'techno' appear a few times.

"Some Monolake tracks start because I want to explore a specific sound generation technique, some because I feel like doing some techno, some for other reasons."
-Robert Henke, 2002 Interview

He mostly released his music on Chain Reaction, which was one of the most important labels for...(wait for it)....TECHNO.

To my ears, 808 State is crap commercial pop electronica. If you ever dropped one of their tracks at a techno show you'd be treated to a gallery of horrified stares.

Feb 13, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #51 of 60
That's what Techno is, a dance style of electronic music. Just because it is dance orientated doesn't make it crap either. African music is dance orientated and the beginnings of jazz is Dixieland Swing which is also a dance style of music. I guess we have two different ideas of what Techno is then because I don't consider Monolake techno at all. Not matter about genres as it is all music and it is all good to varying degrees IMO.

Just wanted to add that last.fm is quite accurate in defining genres. The bolder the word then the more people use that term to descibe an artist. Techno was about 3rd choice for 808 State and minimal was the No.1 choice for Monolake so I was fairly close. There is rarely one description for a group or artist because they often cross genres.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #52 of 60
milkweg, please stop insisting that 808 state is techno. some of their songs can be considered techno but most of their stuff is house. also, techno is not synonymous with dance. if anything, it'd be house. you should familiarize yourself with more of the subgenres of techno, namely detroit techno, and broaden your definition of techno. since you like last.fm, detroit techno tag – Music at Last.fm and check out Sounds Like Techno

although I shouldn't digress even further (sorry :X), "electronica" is a terrible word devoid of any sort of meaning. it's either electronic music or EDM.

anyway, more people should have mentioned aphex twin's selected ambient works 85-92

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 60
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden (2003)
Gel-Sol - Unifactor (2007)
Sundial Aeon - Apotheosis (2007)

And obviously many more from Ultimae Records, Kettel - Volleyed Iron, Orb - Orblivion... just 3... man....
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
milkweg, please stop insisting that 808 state is techno.

Get real. I'll call them whatever the F I like. If last.fm has them listed as Techno in big bold letters then I think I am safe to call them Techno without insulting anyone except a few anal retentive types.
k701smile.gif

I will continue to use electronicA too because it differentiates between old school electronic and new school electronic, with your permission of course. EDM is Electronic Dance Music which Autechre and Aphex Twin are not. Perhaps you meant IDM? Which is Intelligent Dance Music, which Autechre and Aphex Twin are. IDM is dance music for the brain and not something to pick up chicks with on a Saturday night. Hehe.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #55 of 60
yep. 808 state is techno. in the late 80's early 90's techno was sometimes used as umbrella term for acid house & hardcore. they're also acid house.

aphex twin is techno. listen to 'classics'. that is most definitly techno. he is also ambient. oh let's call it IDM...

"techno" means different things today, & i'm still perplexed to why we still keep using it when it's only an umbrella term, so much of it branched out to form their own genres. from what i can see, mimimal purists use the term a lot but that's 'cos they pretend to be ubercoolische when really they do quite like it BANGING some times (but shhhh!)

but really, techno is anything electronic & banging

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #56 of 60
I guess because I have been around for so long I have never used Techno as an umbrella term and only use it for certain types of electronic music because when the word techno first started being used it only applied to certain bands and Monolake is certainly not one of those types of bands.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep. 808 state is techno. in the late 80's early 90's techno was sometimes used as umbrella term for acid house & hardcore. they're also acid house.

aphex twin is techno. listen to 'classics'. that is most definitly techno. he is also ambient. oh let's call it IDM...

"techno" means different things today, & i'm still perplexed to why we still keep using it when it's only an umbrella term, so much of it branched out to form their own genres. from what i can see, mimimal purists use the term a lot but that's 'cos they pretend to be ubercoolische when really they do quite like it BANGING some times (but shhhh!)

but really, techno is anything electronic & banging

hNY85iAw4b4

I pretty much agree with this and much of what is called techno these days doesn't sound much at all like real techno.

Not huge into ambient to be honest but I could listen to 90's Orb all day long.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #60 of 60
FSOL - Lifeforms
Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambien Works II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back