If you could only have one budget priced headphone (<$100), which would it be?
Dec 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dyce

Head-Fier
The headphones you would have to use for everything, music, gaming, basshead fix (by EQ), portability/travel and comfortable (for long usage). If the headphone breaks, you would buy it again.

My ATH-ES7 are very uncomfortable even after adjusting the clamp but the sound is great.
XB500 was very comfortable but not very portable.

Perhaps the carbon nanotube JVC HAS680?

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 14
Creative Aurvana Live! hits most of these for me.  Music, gaming, bass-head fix (without EQ), and are comfortable to wear since they are so light, but portability is not a strong suit.  Toss them in a bag and they are liable to come out in pieces.  Which is why I have both the CAL! and Porta Pros.  Yes that's cheating.

Don't use either of them much anymore, but won't ever get rid of them.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 14
Takstar Pro 80 (HM5 Pads probably)

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 14
Originally Posted by dyce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you could only have one budget priced headphone (<$100), which would it be?

The headphones you would have to use for everything, music, gaming, basshead fix (by EQ), portability/travel and comfortable (for long usage). If the headphone breaks, you would buy it again.

At that price range and portability is part of the criteria, I'd much rather have an IEM than a larger headphone. If it wasn't, I'd take the SR60e.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Recently purchased koss pro dj100, with upgraded pads. Excellent for the price, mates well with portable amps like 18v cmoy and headroom bithead, light weight, good mids and detail.

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Recently purchased koss pro dj100, with upgraded pads. Excellent for the price, mates well with portable amps like 18v cmoy and headroom bithead, light weight, good mids and detail.

how much do those usually go for? i dont see a listing directly from amazon (discontinued?) but it says 99 on the koss website (MSRP?)

Dec 16, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Mine would be an Audeze LCD-3, but nobody wants to sell theirs to me for <$100... 
confused.gif

Seriously, +1 for the Takstar Pro 80.  Sweet, sweet midrange and a lot of air for closed cans, not to mention the badass carrying case.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 14
Philips SHP9500. The only <$100 that I sold and still miss some aspect of the sound.

You will go to hell by selling this :) Why did you sell it though?

I think production of this headphone (9500s) will cease soon. You can get creative aurvana later but you may not will be able to get these.

If you don't mind openness and sub bass roll off get them quick. They are very good in my opinion.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 14
You will go to hell by selling this :) Why did you sell it though?

I think production of this headphone (9500s) will cease soon. You can get creative aurvana later but you may not will be able to get these.

If you don't mind openness and sub bass roll off get them quick. They are very good in my opinion.

The interior fabric touched my ears and became hot after a while. I don't think they make these anymore.

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 14
I like how almost none of the suggestion fold for travel =p

I think I would have to say the ATH M-40X $70~ right now on amazon...leaving $30 for better ear pads..if wanted..

pretty rugged fold up pretty small and detachable cable....

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 14

I think I would have to say the ATH M-40X $70~ right now on amazon...leaving $30 for better ear pads..if wanted..

pretty rugged fold up pretty small and detachable cable....

good call! these seem pretty sustainable especially with the detachable cable.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 14

That depends on what bag you use. To wit, here's my Tenba Discovery Mini Daypack. Unloaded the audio gear save for my IEMs when I arrived at my brother's house, went on a road trip packing only cam gear plus a tripod, passport, powerbank, chargers, and my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back