If you could make a perfect headphone...how would it be?
Oct 3, 2015 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ToroFiestaSol

500+ Head-Fier
Let's dream a little, now we got massive offerings for almost all consumer types, tastes and needs, flagship products are unveiled faster and faster, technology is growing and advancing at breath taking speeds, and the most important of all factors: companies are involved with the consumer more than ever, now they have accounts in forums, some of them even loan prototypes to users, now you can get your doubts or troubles with their products resolved via facebook, in minutes without going to a physical store. That was unthinkable until a few years ago.
Now, with all this advantages, I decided to make this thread, in which every user describes his perfect full-size open headphone. Every aspect, performance, sound signature, aesthetics, materials, design, realistic price point*, color...

* I say realistic price point, because I know some companies will read this post, and if our dreams/propositions are realistic, maybe someone can get "his perfect headphone" realized, it's a very remote possibility, but no one knows, it can happen!

My perfect headphone is:

- Sound signature:

Neutral and natural, something that doesn't adds his own sound to the music, that can be used as a studio monitor and make a great mix on them, but also you can listen to music with pleasure while you relax. I don't want a "brutally honest" headphone, I want a "beautifully honest" headphone, if there's a mistake on the recording, I hear it but it isn't annoying. I like a big soundstage, wide and tall, with a very precise placement of instruments and separation, not annoyingly wide and disperse, something realistic.

- Performance:

TOTL performance, a bit better than K812, HD800, T1, etc, I don't need an SR-009 level of performance. 

- Design, aesthetics:

Would love a matte black Stax SR-009 :)
I'm not being very creative here, but I would love that design, and that's all about!
Materials would be lamb skin pads and alluminium. Nothing made of plastic or fake leather.

- Price:

Between 1000 and 1500 euros, because is a bit better than 1k TOTL headphones but not as good as some sky-high priced TOTL products.

- Impedance, sensivity:

Easy to drive, something like an audio interface (ID22, Duet 2 for example) can drive it at reasonable listening volumes, but also I would like it to scale with higher end headphone amps, unleashing his full potential. Something like HD800 with high end amps, but a bit easier to drive with lesser gear.

- Technology:

Based on the actual market and my needs, I suspect that is a planar headphone, but I don't mind if it's dynamic if it complies with my whishes.

- Cables:

This is important, because I don't want a thin and cheap bad cable with my dreamed headphone. Something well made, not esoteric with precious materials. I would like 3 cables: one with dual 3 pin male XLR connectors, other with one 6,3mm TRS jack and other with a 3,5mm jack. Neutrik Gold connectors are sufficient for me. Of course, I want a balanced headphone.

Now is your turn!
Describe your perfect headphone, you can add more points than I, say whatever you want and you consider necessary.
If you are good at 3D design or with photoshop you can post the design of your headphone too!

Greetings!

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 2
My perfect headphone:
Sound signature - ruthlessly neutral, if a recording is poor then it should sound poor
Performance - no brightness/harshness, no lack or excess of any part of sound spectrum, no colour
Design, aesthetics - modular design with everything durable and user replaceable, ear shaped not circular
Price - no more than £500
Impedance, sensitivity - hard to drive
Technology - electrostatic
Cable - 6.3mm and balanced detachable quality cable
I prefer an intimate soundstage so no angled drivers. Basically a headphone that gets out of the way, that sounds like a headphone and is so comfortable it disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back