If you could design the ultimate pair of headphones, what would the sound signature be similar to?
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Oggranak

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, so, hypothetical situation: You are able to (magically) create a pair of headphones that is of extremely high quality (when referring to the less subjective aspects of headphones). What sound signature would you choose for it? What headphones that actually exist most closely resemble your ideal sound signature?

I'm still thinking about it, I can't decide which headphones I like most for SS.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 35
Ideally my headphones would sound like my Omega single-driver hempcone loudspeakers.
smile.gif
Oh, I'm sorry you said what other headphones.
redface.gif

My ideal phones would probably have the Grado or Sennheiser signature. They are certainly the headphones that I was most satisified with. Beyond that I am not really sure what you're after.

--Jerome

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ideally my headphones would sound like my Omega single-driver hempcone loudspeakers.
smile.gif
Oh, I'm sorry you said what other headphones.
redface.gif

My ideal phones would probably have the Grado or Sennheiser signature. They are certainly the headphones that I was most satisified with. Beyond that I am not really sure what you're after.

--Jerome

I guess it was basically just a way of asking what your favourite sound signature was of all the headphones you've tried.

For example, there isn't much denying that the RS-1 is a stronger headphone than Koss PortaPros, but one could prefer the PortaPro sound signature. So in this case, the person could choose to make a headphone that performs as strongly as the best of headphones in areas like clarity/detail/tightness/etc. but sounds like a PortaPro.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 35
They would sound like good sex. After all they are magic.

NO, seriously folks, take my wife, ,,,Please. but leave my Denons. The signature of all of the Denons I've heard gives me a "Real" feel. As if I could feel the vibration of the Bass player standing next to me or the hair rasiing tingles of the french horn or Tenor Sax.. Many People in the world including some Head-Fier's have never been up close to an orchestra or band where you can feel the music as much as hearing it.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They would sound like good sex. After all they are magic.

NO, seriously folks, take my wife, ,,,Please. but leave my Denons. The signature of all of the Denons I've heard gives me a "Real" feel. As if I could feel the vibration of the Bass player standing next to me or the hair rasiing tingles of the french horn or Tenor Sax.. Many People in the world including some Head-Fier's have never been up close to an orchestra or band where you can feel the music as much as hearing it.

Someone should make a bodysuit that goes with your headphones and simulates the "feel" of the music. Then you'd get the sound AND the feel.
beyersmile.png

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 35
A K1000 with a bit more bass extension.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 35
Soundstage, transparency of the HE90
tonality of the HP1000
image placement of the K240 Sextett
smooth, effortless detail of orthodynamics

all in an earbud that isolates without having to be shoved into the ear or any discomfort, and which can be driven by the most piece of crap busted ipod

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 35
The bass of my Panny HTX7s (but with better control on sources such as my stereo where it becomes over-bearing) with the mids and highs of my HD201s.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 35
I would design a grado headphone, which sounds just a tad more balanced than my 225, with less aggressive highs and improved bass ( an Rs1..basically
biggrin.gif
), i would even keep the same appearance, it's the most comfortable shape i can think of, obviously, with my magical powers, i would create carbon fiber cups and frame with the same effect on sound while being feather light
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 35
MS2i looks, DT880 comfort, DT531 emotion & musical bandwidth, G1000 soundscape, AD2000 bass, K701 mids, MS Pro highs & PRaT.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could design the ultimate pair of headphones, what would the sound signature be similar to?

It wouldn't have a "sound signature", it would be as close to reality as possible - the aim being you could not tell if it was headphones or if it was real.

If it had a sound signature I would have failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back