If you could choose between the 530's and the PFE's...
Mar 11, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #91 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None taken!
darthsmile.gif

so when are the customs coming in?

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #92 of 207
Well, when I have my touch volume at max and I think the pfe sounds weak and thin, then yes for me it needs some more juice. SE530 and Ie8 sound great at 60 percent volume on my touch. But maybe my pair was defective since the left channel went out the same day I received them. The touch drives my full size cans better then the pfe, It did sound nice with the E3 and hopefully better with the t4 I just ordered.

So I will rephrase my statment- "I" couldn't listen to them without an amp compared to what I'm used to listening to volume and fullness wise. So they don't sound good without an amp to everybody.
wink.gif
If I didn't have an amp to use with, them back they would have went. as always YMMV.

Two good points I want to make are, phonak customer service seems excellent- they are sending me another pair with a pre-paid shipping envelope to send the old ones back. Thats very cool, and the 14 return thing is cool also. I am looking forward to how they sound with the ibasso t4. I think-hope that will give me the volume and body I crave, plus keep some of the clarity of these phones. That combo should be a nice change from the more mello laid back IE8.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #93 of 207
This thread is clearly going side tracked.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #94 of 207
hm...i never exceeded 40%, maybe not even 35%, on my ipod classic...and 50% is too loud
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #95 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is clearly going side tracked.

absolutely
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #97 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Phonak Thread, and Captain BS has not shown up yet?

Actually, you just did

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #98 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lost what? you mean the tantrum thing earlier, sorry voltag3 was just trying to make a point but it was clearly lost on the intended recipient, no offence was meant to yourself

You didn't make a single point worth listening to. Multiple people have pointed that out now.

You can be delusional about your righteousness all you want.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #99 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will plunge into it if I am in US. I dun think the shipping fee will be refunded as I am from Canada.

24 shipping fee + 20 custom fee +24 shipping fee(back), that is really equal to half price of PFE
confused_face.gif

That changes things.. sorry about that. I'd start with ones you have easier access to and can return without much penalty. If you like the SE530/IE8 or whatever you pick first stay with it and don't worry about the rest.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #100 of 207
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you just did

PieToonFace.jpg

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #101 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when I have my touch volume at max and I think the pfe sounds weak and thin, then yes for me it needs some more juice. SE530 and Ie8 sound great at 60 percent volume on my touch. But maybe my pair was defective since the left channel went out the same day I received them. The touch drives my full size cans better then the pfe, It did sound nice with the E3 and hopefully better with the t4 I just ordered.

So I will rephrase my statment- "I" couldn't listen to them without an amp compared to what I'm used to listening to volume and fullness wise. So they don't sound good without an amp to everybody.
wink.gif
If I didn't have an amp to use with, them back they would have went. as always YMMV.

Two good points I want to make are, phonak customer service seems excellent- they are sending me another pair with a pre-paid shipping envelope to send the old ones back. Thats very cool, and the 14 return thing is cool also. I am looking forward to how they sound with the ibasso t4. I think-hope that will give me the volume and body I crave, plus keep some of the clarity of these phones. That combo should be a nice change from the more mello laid back IE8.

Coming from an IE8/se530, I would imagine that your pair wasn't actually defective in that sense. The phonaks do represent a leaner sound. On the topic of amping I personally think that problem stems from using daps with preset eq's that are not that great or poor manual EQ's. I am a basshead at heart and use a combination of foams and manual eq to get a sound that I like so I don;t need an amp. No doubt if I still had my iphone I would probably invest in a quality amp with bass gain feature but since I don't I have no need.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #102 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

If you look at that graph vs what is on Phonaks website you will find that the Phonak is more flatter in the bass response.

So the SE530 and IE8 will have more bass. Also Phonak being a hearing aid manufacturer have to abide by some EU loudness law that's why they don;t play loud so as not yo damage your hearing.

If these don't work for you you might as well return the Phonak.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #104 of 207
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you just did

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PieToonFace.jpg

This type of stuff is what keeps me coming here
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Hey Mark...Don't bring my name into any of your arguments in which you clearly lost...

LOL. The pie in the face could have been used here also!

Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from an IE8/se530, I would imagine that your pair wasn't actually defective in that sense. The phonaks do represent a leaner sound.

x2 (well, compared to the IE8s)

Quote:

On the topic of amping I personally think that problem stems from using daps with preset eq's that are not that great or poor manual EQ's. I am a basshead at heart and use a combination of foams and manual eq to get a sound that I like so I don;t need an amp. No doubt if I still had my iphone I would probably invest in a quality amp with bass gain feature but since I don't I have no need.

I remember from way back in one of the PFE threads it was mentioned that Phonak purposely made them with a low sensitivity because they are a hearing aid manufacturer, and that is the responsible thing to do (as a hearing aid manufacturer). Not sure if that is true, but that is what I recall.

Edit: sorry, I missed this, my speed reading classes must not be paying off
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also Phonak being a hearing aid manufacturer have to abide by some EU loudness law that's why they don;t play loud so as not yo damage your hearing.

The PFEs were listenable via my Fuze at about 60-80% volume. There is only one song that I cranked the volume to 100%, and that still wasn't loud enough, don't remember the song though.

IMO the PFEs don't need an amp, but from what I have heard they do really benefit from one.

Quote:

Have not fully made up my mind yet between ue-11's, es3x's and HD800s...

I can't wait to see a picture of whatever you get next to your se530s
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #105 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

If you look at that graph vs what is on Phonaks website you will find that the Phonak is more flatter in the bass response.

So the SE530 and IE8 will have more bass. Also Phonak being a hearing aid manufacturer have to abide by some EU loudness law that's why they don;t play loud so as not yo damage your hearing.

If these don't work for you you might as well return the Phonak.

Absolutely, I knew the sound sig when I ordered them, I think they be fine with the t4 for my needs. I sure didn't want to sidetrack the thread, I just wanted to clarify my earlier statement and not make a blanket statement. Like "they don't require an amp to sound great" which in my case isn't true.

I was a rock musician for many years and do like my music loud. Somehow my hearing remains pretty good despite that. And I'm sure the OP will enjoy his se530 and thats all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back