If you could choose between the 530's and the PFE's...
Mar 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #61 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i dont doubt i would really like the pfe's, from thier descriptions ive heard they would suit me very well, as do the er4's. all im saying is some love them but others dont hear it. no one really doubts the 530's or triples as being right at the top even if they arent perfect for you people still recognise that they are very acomplished. some opinions i hear of the pfe's for me mean they just arent quite at the same level, however as i have said on many occasions a huge ammount boils down to personal prefernce.

we dont all like the same music so why should we all like the same IEM's?

Guess it boils down to how long something has to be around to withstand FOTM. SE530's had a similar hype with manic advocates upon release but to this day are still held up in high regard.

Personally, I think we are going to be seeing many FOTM earphones. The Senn IE8's fall into this bracket too. The rate of release for earphones including ones with history is just too high and very unlike the old days when we would be waiting a blue moon for the next big thing to come around for everyone to cling onto.

That being said I do personally believe that the PFE's will withstand the test of time as no matter what sound sig you prefer, if you appreciate sound reproduction you have to commend its ability. In addition, it could become the go to iem for a balanced sound that doesn;t break the bank...atleast until something similar is released!
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #62 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I went with the SE530's, paid $300 for them total (technically, the difference was $150, which is fine), and I'm sure I will be happy. Ultimately, though I did love the crystal-clear clarity of the q-Jays, what I found myself loving more was the rich bass, and 530 has an even better low-end and smoother mids. I really did like the sound of the 530's, and in all honesty, when I was doing my comparisons side-by-side, I was purposely trying to not like the 530's as much due to their price. But I've made a pretty penny in the past week, and can afford them. I have no regrets.

There is nothing I have against the PFE's since I never tried them. There are very few gripes I had against the q-Jays, they were truly phenomenal, exceptionally comfortable, and, at the size of a bloody kidney bean, they were beautiful to look at. Sibilance was a personal issue, and I am sure there are many out there who have never had this issue. (Same thing goes for the PFE.) I learned in kindergarten that every person is unique. It holds true even to this day.

Certainly there are strong opinions on this forum, but as it's obvious reading through your responses, I do hope we never forget that these are earphones that we stick into our ears -- therefore, everyone's experience is different. My experience with an earphone will never ever be the same as yours, or anybody else's. But I come to this forum over and over because I want the collective opinion of many highly-experienced individuals because on the whole, their opinion is usually appropriate for me. So again, thanks to all of the Head-Fi'ers who responded.

Is there anything important I should know about the 530's, so they don't suddenly break on me?

EDIT: Holy cow, I'm a 100+ Head-Fi'er!! I am proud.

Glad that you made your own choice
beerchug.gif
I have not made my decision yet.I finally narrow down to IE8/Shure 530/PFE, The dilemma for me is PFE +AMP + dedicated cable(mini to mini) is around 200, i could get the other 2 by around 280 at the same time

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #63 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hype that PFE has gotten in this forum is ridiculous. I am not sure why some are putting the PFE on the level of the SE530/Triplefi10/UM2 or even the ER4p/SA6 when they are at best on the level of the IM716 or RE2. I haven't heard the Q jays for a long time but off my memory I don't think the PFE is an upgrade from the Q jays. I agree with ghost87, the PFE are good for their price, nothing more.

But, you are wrong, my friend. I don't know if you heard all the phones that you mentioned above - I would assume you did - but I have except the IM716, UM2 and SA6, and, if anything, I can say with no reservation that it's definitely not on par with RE2. Although, RE2's are great phones themselves, they're not even close in clarity and resolution, nevermind the tonal balance. What the PFE's lack compared to higher end phones is the wide soundstage, but other than that, everything else falls into preference. As I said before, I personally prefer PFE's balanced sound and would gladly trade off a small degree of soundstage for it. I actually prefer ER-4S over PFE's in terms of SQ but they're just damn uncomfortable and not really portable. What I would really like is ER-4S to have the same comfort level as the SE530, now that I'd die for.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #64 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What assumption? That most people think the SE530s are excellent IEMs?

First of all, the theme of this thread is if you could choose beween the 530's and PFE's, not what others think. Second of all, I find it strange that you didn't mention the fact that majority of the PFE owners think they are excellent IEMs, too. Last but not least, by giving such a statement, you are giving people false statements because you don't even know what they sound like in the first place. Everybody's taste in audio is subjective and just by saying such a statement without even knowing their sound first hand, you could be giving wrong ideas to different people. Rather, instead of telling people what is the best, if you tell them what makes them best in your opinion, it would be more helpful for people who are considering between these two phones in the subject.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #65 of 207
Quote:

nope i have not heard the pfe's, from my reading of them and conversations i get that they are a slightly more bassy ety er4. they sound good but really still kinda need and amp.

Again, assumptions without personal experience is not the right thing to tell to the people who are considering between these two phone. You could get a general idea of what they might sound like but not everyone's going to share the same opinion. For instance, PFE's don't need an amp to sound good. Yes, there's definitely an improvement especially in soundstage area but a lot of people agree that they sound just as good unamped.

Quote:

for me the sign of something being truly great is when for the big for no one really questions whether they deserve that status, people who hear them know instantly they are right at the top, the pfe's dont get this. yes some people absolutely love them (much like ther er4's too) but others just dont.

This applies to every headphones, IEMs, DACs, Amps, etc..

Quote:

the op may hear them and fall in love, thy could be just what his ears want but in my opinion i feel there is more of a gamble as to whether he will love them or not getting the pfe's than there is getting the se530's. the 530's have been arround for years and still they sit right at the very top of what money can buy, whether they are right for you is a matter of opinion but it is without doubt they are widly recognised as being great.

How would you prove that the other argument isn't true? PFE's have been around for a few good months now and there aren't really major problems reported against them. Some owners are reporting about the broken casing but Shure have always had problems with the cables as far as I can remember, and I've had a lot of them.

Quote:

in time the same thing could happen with the pfe but they are just too new and i just dont see the same level of widespread recognition of thier abilities so if someon asked my opinion im not going to suggest they gamble with their money. i am going to tell them what i feel is the most certain bet and saying odds are you will love the se530 isnt a bet you are often going to loose.

I believe that is the truth when all is said an done. In the end, PFE's will never be as popular as SE530 mainly because they just don't have that same brand power the Shure has. But just because they're more popular don't mean that they are any better than the lesser known products. IMO, I think the percentage of gambling rate on popular products is just as same on lesser known products. And again, you can't tell someone that the new shoes will fit and tell how comfortable it is unless you tried them for yourself.

I know first hand that PFE's are not the be-all-end-all phones, and I do prefer other phones over PFE's but I just think it's really not the right thing to do to choose A over B when you don't really know what B sound like. To me, it all seems premature.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #66 of 207
I still own the Shure E500s (530). I haven't put them in my ears since the PFEs came along and probably won't. They will be for sale eventually.

The Shures are great IEMs, but they lack the highs in a significant way, are dark sounding, and are not as accurate as the PFEs. I also prefer the PFEs to my old Ety ER4s. The Etys were razor sharp in precision, but were thin sounding, grating on bad recordings, and they were very difficult and painful to jam in the ear.

I do like the Shure and Ety isolation better.

That being said, the Shure is really a wonderful IEM, and I think it would come down to taste. However, if you value highs at all, they aren't really included with the Shures. They are dark sounding to say the least which some might like (HD650 fans would gel with these I'd assume).

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #67 of 207
well its a forum, its what we do we give opinions based on the information we have about any given product. the op was asking which we would buy and for me id buy the 530 over the pfe. i dont have any special or magical loyalty to them and im fairly sure ill eventually buy a set of the pfe's but what i read about them hasnt put me in any hurry to do so.

sorry but i just havent read anything much about them that really makes me want to try them and i thnk a large part of that is down to the lack of criticality in may of their fans comments. like the 530 has recessed highs and every one knows that but when someon says the bass on the pfe isnt what they wanted they get attacked for it. when some say it needs and amp others go nuts. so untill its fans become more calm and rational about it i find it hard to take those peoples words for it.

like i really really like the sound of the klipsch custom 1, many others really really dont. nothing is perfect and untill the fans get a little bit more realistic i have no option but to be more influenced by those who arent loving it so.

if you want me to think better of it then persuade me im missing out something special and if i get curious enough ill go buy a pair.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #68 of 207
well i would love to tell you that i'm still not at all convinced that the pfe needs an amp to sound good, and i also can't find anything to complaing about regarding the sound signature - the sound from grey filters straight out of my computer or my 6G ipod classic totally blew me away. That said, (from grey filters) there really isn't a lot of bass, so i understand if someone wants more. in a way it's a bit similar to custom-3 i think, only a bit more clearer and brighter, and less bass.

but that would be slightly off topic :p

(am i a pfe fanboy? maybe...)

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #69 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 530's have proven themselves to be outstanding earphones based on both professional reviews and Head-Fi'ers' opinions, since they are consistently in the top 5. They've had time, and now have a lot of adopters. That's partly why I chose them. If there are any problems with them, there's usually someone out there who's had the same problem and can help me.

The same can be said about the PFE. If something happens to the SE530 you go to Shure. If Something happens to the PFE you go to Phonak. Phonak is a pretty big hearing aid manufacturer from Switzerland.

Quote:

The same can't be said for the PFE's -- NOT for SQ issues or anything, but because they simply haven't had enough time for market penetration. The Cnet review (which a LOT of the mainstream use for their tech-reviews) for PFE's went up like yesterday! I say give the PFE's a year. How 'bout it? Honestly, I have no doubt that they are terrific earphones with great sound, but if in a year from now I still see them up there with the 530's, with tons of people still proclaiming them to be among the best, then I'll throw up my hands and proclaim them to be the best value among earphones, bar none.

But I suggest we give it time before we judge these two earphones side by side.

So a $399 IEM is being compared to a $140 one. It would be a shame if the more expensive one was only just slightly better. None one is arguing that they aren't new. Just because they are doesn't mean they are nothing but hype.

A lot of experienced Head-fier's don't think so. Some newbies came and thrashed them because they don't have slow bass.

The problem with newbies is they haven't really heard quality sound to make an informed decision. Then they come and make no effort to make an informed, well reasoned critique if they do know what they are talking about.

For example, The Sizzling Sound of Music - O'Reilly Radar

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #70 of 207
The PFE's don't need a amp to sound good, rather some good Rock'n Roll with some upright slappin bass and some way gone saxaphone, and they start rockin!

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #71 of 207
Quote:

okay seriously, grow up. are you 12 or something?

I eventually like to get down to the level of the person I am responding to after all attempts to reason with them at an adult level has failed.

If you want to be treated like an adult act like one.

Quote:

all ive said is teh pfe i dont believe are clearly on the same level as the 530 other wise people like the op wouldnt be asking if the 530 was worth $140 more would they???

You have no grounds to make that claim since you haven't heard them. I can't make the claim that they are indeed better than the SE530. I haven't made that claim and I haven't. I just pointed out that other Head-Fi'ers rank them a certain way.

Quote:

and for the universally loved, respected and view as deserving of their place in the "big 4" well those would be the big 4, must i list them for you?

Yes please do. Also put each of them to the test you subject the Phonak , to claim they aren't worthy. Let's see if they pass.

Quote:

now stop behaving like spoilt child in a huff, no ones saying your precious babys are crap just that they are not the best thats out there.

Do onto others as you want other to do on to you.

Quote:

btw you realise FOTM tend to apply to only new things, if you want to label it flavour of the last few years then by all means knock yourself out

I asked you how long a IEM must spend in the FOTM label before it gets out of it. You still haven't answered that. So till then I will apply your silly test (No "Meh" reviews) for FOTM to anything I like no matter how old.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #72 of 207
Quote:

sorry but i just havent read anything much about them that really makes me want to try them and i thnk a large part of that is down to the lack of criticality in may of their fans comments. like the 530 has recessed highs and every one knows that but when someon says the bass on the pfe isnt what they wanted they get attacked for it. when some say it needs and amp others go nuts. so untill its fans become more calm and rational about it i find it hard to take those peoples words for it.

I'm actually seeing a lot of these now days not only on PFE's but all around the forum. Instead, I always give non exaggerated opinions about what I think based on my experience. But, these kind of "attaking" behaviors seems to come mostly from inexperienced head-fiers who have not heard of many other phones and feel protective of their initial investments. Now, there's nothing wrong with participating in threads that they are interested in, but if they are leaving an impression or a statement regarding the product in hand, I would, at least, expect them to have some degree of exposure to the product so that people can really benefit by more informative and educational posts.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #74 of 207
Quote:

well its a forum, its what we do we give opinions based on the information we have about any given product. the op was asking which we would buy and for me id buy the 530 over the pfe.

You have 0 real knowledge about the PFE. So why are you giving negative opinions about them?

The OP has heard the SE530 but didn't think it was worth the money. So we offered him an cheaper alternative that some consider on par or better than the SE530.

I also mentioned that he should try both and pick the one he likes. Your childish concept of help is "buy the one I have, even though I know nothing about the other product in question".

Quote:

i dont have any special or magical loyalty to them and im fairly sure ill eventually buy a set of the pfe's but what i read about them hasnt put me in any hurry to do so.

Fine get them... don't get them that's your choice. Nothing I have read about the IE8, Westone 3 or SE530 has put me in a hurry to go out and spend $300-$400 on those either. So what is your point.?

Quote:

Nonsense. Some one wanted more bass and I pointed them toward the Turbine. It is in the PFE appreciation thread go search..

Nobody pounced on anyone that was nice about wanting help. That is the bottom line. Rude people get dealt with like they put out.

Quote:

like i really really like the sound of the klipsch custom 1, many others really really dont. nothing is perfect and untill the fans get a little bit more realistic i have no option but to be more influenced by those who arent loving it so.

That's pretty lame.. It seems to me you want to reassure your self that you shouldn't try them out because a handful of people don't like them.

Quote:

if you want me to think better of it then persuade me im missing out something special and if i get curious enough ill go buy a pair.

Wow! You really think we have nothing better to do than persuade your highness. Get real.

I couldn't care less if you bought the Phonak or not. I do care that you make an effort to be honest that you haven't tried them when you give out your opinion.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #75 of 207
Quote:

oarnura, clearly there is no point trying to be rational with you, so i wont. believe what you like and just be happy in those beliefs, i wish you well

It isn't just me that has a problem with you today mark. So the person being irrational here is you.

Why are you so afraid to answer a question you claim to be an authority on? How long must a phone languish in FOTM status until the almighty Mark deems them worthy of his awesome ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back