If you could choose between the 530's and the PFE's...
Mar 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 207
The sibilance on PFE's highly depends of type of filters and ear tips used. I'm using comply tips w/ grey filters, and I do not experience any sibilance whatsoever. While SE530 has silky smooth mid and the best comfort, I tend to go for more balanced sound and that's what the PFE's do best. They do not exaggerate any frequency levels. I guess they all come down to one's preference.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if your saying the 310 beat the pfe then im thinking the 530 will spank them senseless

Headphone addict prefers his PFE over the stock 530. He prefers the SE530 over the PFE only when using a custom sleeve.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...ml#post5377354

Given the cost difference that is saying a lot.

The PFE reproduce what is in the recording. Sibilance is not an issue unless you are only used to overly warm sounding gear
that kill detail for warmth.

I am sure the SE530 is a great IEM. I have the SCL4 and like the Shure sound a lot. The PFE out perform the $250 SCL4. They are fairly close to the SE530 based on reviews.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #18 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i would say go for the 530's, best things ive ever heard

Have you tried both? If so, what is it that you like more about SE530 than PFE's?

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 207
I also had the Shure E4G for several months, and in my opinion they had more bass than the Phonaks, although neither of them are bass heavy.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While SE530 has silky smooth mid and the best comfort, I tend to go for more balanced sound and that's what the PFE's do best. They do not exaggerate any frequency levels.
I guess they all come down to one's preference.

Well said. They sound so different from each other, that there are bound to be people who graviatate towards a warm bassy sound, and others who gravitate towards a less bassy more neutral sound. What's 'better' is simply the one we prefer
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #21 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone addict prefers his PFE over the stock 530. He prefers the SE530 over the PFE only when using a custom sleeve.

Given the cost difference that is saying a lot.

Although SQ difference due to different materials in tips would be there, that seems to be mostly due to a fit/seal problem. I remember HA also saying that he liked yellow foamies a lot both fit and SQ wise, though he went the Custom sleeve route because they were way too itchy (and I agree). Conversely, if anyone had trouble with a fit on the PFE's (and contrary of their namesake, this seems to be one of their common complaints) and had a good fit/iso with the Shures (which is for most part one of their better known strengths) it would be the other way around. I do agree that the difference doesn't seem to be big either way.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #22 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although SQ difference due to different materials in tips would be there, that seems to be mostly due to a fit/seal problem. I remember HA also saying that he liked yellow foamies a lot both fit and SQ wise, though he went the Custom sleeve route because they were way too itchy (and I agree). Conversely, if anyone had trouble with a fit on the PFE's (and contrary of their namesake, this seems to be one of their common complaints) and had a good fit/iso with the Shures (which is for most part one of their better known strengths) it would be the other way around. I do agree that the difference doesn't seem to be big either way.

Whatever the reason... Some prefer the PFE over the 530. There is no way to know if the OP will have the same fit issues with either of those IEMs.
I would assume that HPA and DFKT are experienced enough to know when they have a good seal. They try many tips on each of the IEMs to get the best sound out of them in all their reviews.

The bottom line is the SE530 isn't as clear a winner over the PFE as some are making it out to be.

DFKT also rates them higher on his personal taste guide.
Phonak Audeo? - Page 35 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I am just trying to give the OP what the general concensus is on the Phonak are since I have been involved in those threads for quite a while.

The Shure SE530 is easily twice the cost of the PFE and the difference between the two comes down to preference.

I am sure the SE530 are great but the OP needs to get more of the head-fi common wisdom about both of them.

I find the PFE very easy to listen too. My SCL4 used to cause me fatigue and weren't nearly as comfortable.

Also I doubt the OP wouldn't be happy with the SE530 is he should decide to get them. They have a great reputation and Shure is a stellar company.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #23 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever the reason... Some prefer the PFE over the 530. There is no way to know if the OP will have the same fit issues with either of those IEMs.

The bottom line is the SE530 isn't as clear a winner over the PFE as some are making it out to be.

DFKT also rates them higher on his personal taste guide.
Phonak Audeo? - Page 35 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I am just trying to give the OP what the general concensus on the Phonak are since I have been involved in those threads for quite a while.

The Shure SE530 is easily twice the cost of the PFE and the difference between the two comes down to preference.

I am sure the SE530 are great but the OP needs to get more of the common wisdom on these boards about both of them.

I agree. I was just addressing how HA's stock comparisons between the two seem to be largely dependent on the fit/comfort rather than plain sound quality. For all we know OP may have a perfect fit and comfort with PFE's and also prefer the sound signature as well. Or not. He won't know until he tries.
smily_headphones1.gif
The difference in sound quality may or may not justify the difference in price, that much is hard to downright claim by either side.

Either way, the two IEM's are both well respected and going back to OP's actual question, PFE may make a fine substitute to 530's (which he didn't seem to necessarily feel as if it was worth it from his experience). However, before you go returning the 530's, just keep in mind two things: 1) The defect rate tend to be overstated at a forum such as this (as " problem posts" tend to stand out... for all we know there are tens of thousands of others who have not experienced this problem, and we simply don't see it) 2) Their more recent models are reportedly more sturdy, and they do back it up with 2 year warranty (as long as you bought it from the authorized Shure dealer... if you didn't, then you may as well return). What I am saying is I would rethink simply returning them because you are intimidated by all the "problem" posts, which very well may not happen to you. But again, if you didn't feel like the SQ wasn't worth the price increase, then return it.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #24 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I was just addressing how HA's stock comparisons between the two seem to be largely dependent on the fit/comfort rather than plain sound quality. For all we know OP may have a perfect fit and comfort with PFE's and also prefer the sound signature as well. Or not. He won't know until he tries.
smily_headphones1.gif
The difference in sound quality may or may not justify the difference in price, that much is hard to downright claim by either side.

Either way, the two IEM's are both well respected and going back to OP's actual question, PFE may make a fine substitute to 530's (which he didn't seem to necessarily feel as if it was worth it from his experience).

Yup it all comes down to preference and individual taste. The PFE have a 14 day trial period. People have returned them with no hassles. So it is definitely worth a shot to try them out at home.

There is no substitute for personal listening and forming your opinion on a product in audio.

To the OP,

If you are getting headaches listening to the Q-jays send them back...then you won't need to rush to make a decision. No reason to keep things that cause discomfort.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 207
Personally I would advise the OP to find a way to try both.
The SE530s are very well regarded.
The PFEs are fairly new thus to some degree suffer from the FOTM syndrome.

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I would advise the OP to find a way to try both.

Wow! really? How long does a phone have to languish in FOTM status before it can be taken out?

Are Senn IE8s and Westone 3 FOTM too? When can we take them off the FOTM list?

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #27 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Again, have you tried both? I don't mean to be rude, but we should keep assumptions to minimum.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the shures, that is why i didn't give specific explanations.
However, the simple fact that respected head-fiers put the amped PFE up in the league of the W3, IE8 etc should say something.
The PFEs should best the 530 in clarity and fit, although what sounds better is entirely personal opinion. The PFEs offer ety-like detail while retaining a smooth midrange, outstanding highs, and precise, high quality bass.
They beat the atrios hands down in everything except sheer bass quantity. They didn't have that much less bass then the atrios, even in that case.
But whatever sounds good to you, sounds good to you.

When I compared the Phonaks to my Atrio v.2's, they also were short in soundstage. And the Atrios don't have a very big soundstage to begin with. The Phonak soundstage is very narrow, and almost claustrophobic to me.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #29 of 207
The hype that PFE has gotten in this forum is ridiculous. I am not sure why some are putting the PFE on the level of the SE530/Triplefi10/UM2 or even the ER4p/SA6 when they are at best on the level of the IM716 or RE2. I haven't heard the Q jays for a long time but off my memory I don't think the PFE is an upgrade from the Q jays. I agree with ghost87, the PFE are good for their price, nothing more.

The HOTM effect seems to be getting worse and worse in head-fi. I haven't heard the IE8, but the Westone 3 suffered greatly from HOTM too. I think many have realized that the Westone 3 isn't that big an upgrade from the UM2, nor are they something revolutionary.

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #30 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hype that PFE has gotten in this forum is ridiculous. I am not sure why some are putting the PFE on the level of the SE530/Triplefi10/UM2 or even the ER4p/SA6 when they are at best on the level of the IM716 or RE2. I haven't heard the Q jays for a long time but off my memory I don't think the PFE is an upgrade from the Q jays.

The HOTM effect seems to be getting worse and worse in head-fi. I haven't heard the IE8, but the Westone 3 suffered greatly from HOTM too. I think many have realized that the Westone 3 isn't that big an upgrade from the UM2, nor are they something revolutionary.

Thank you. Your opening statement is the obvious. There are people on this forum, purposely over-hyping the Phonak PFE's. Obviously, there is some underlying meaning to their mission.

If you look / read the posts, it's fairly easy to see who these people are.

Unfortunately, this nonsense causes the forum to lose credibility, especially when most people post comments with good intent. It's a shame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back