If you could choose between the 530's and the PFE's...
Mar 11, 2009 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

Nosoupforyou

100+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers,

My q-Jays have been giving me sibilance problems, and I cannot listen to them at night because I get a headache. I've got a choice:

- "Step-up" from my q-Jays to the 530's, at a cost of $140-ish, and return the q-Jays
- Keep the q-Jays, and buy the PFE's at a cost of $140-ish.
It's nice to have two choices, but now I am torn.

I've tried the 530's, didn't think they were worth the price increase, though they definitely sounded better with less sibilance. I had more trouble getting a proper seal with them, plus I'm afraid I'll get mugged out of the sheer ostentatiousness of golden-bronze earphones. Comfort is a big issue with me, but I know the Shure's fit well and are very comfy -- they just don't isolate that great. I liked their sound signature, loved the bass, and didn't mind the rumored treble-rolloff one bit. Ultimately, it was their potential for getting destroyed (cable splitting, stuff falling off, nozzle bloody breaking off completely) that made me return them.

I have never tried the Phonaks.

I listen mainly to alternative rock/pop.

What would you do? I literally have less than two days to decide, because my 30-day return/exchange thing runs out. Your opinion will be invaluable in deciding.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 207
Keeping the q-Jays and getting the PFE as well seems a bit redundant to me, they're somewhat similar - although I prefer the PFE by quite a bit. Get the PFE and SE530 for different sound representations, and sell the q-Jays.
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 207
I listen to alternative rock and I'm quite happy with the PFEs + Black filters

Or you could go the PFE (grey) + T4 (or E5) route

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 207
Having owned both, I greatly preferred the Shure se530.

The Shure se530 excelled over the PFE in:

-soundstage / separation
-vocal presentation / midrange
-isolation
-comfort
-quality

With the se530, I felt I was inside the recording studio...with the musician.

The Phonak PFEs were a nice IEM, especially for the money, but I view them more as entry / mid level. Phonak is a good company, with alot of promise

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having owned both,
I greatly preferred the Shure se530.

I've owned both (the E500 which is the same as the SE530 but with different accessories) - and also preferred them over the Phonaks. They have totally different sound signatures though, so it's really a matter of which type of sound is preferred.

Quote:

The Phonak PFEs were a nice IEM, especially for the money, but I view them more as entry / mid level.
Phonak is a good company, with alot of promise

Yes, I agree. And I'd be interested to see what they come out with next. The other thing to consider (from what I've read), is that the Phonaks seem to perform much better with an amp, which then adds to the cost and reduces the portability factor somewhat, whereas the E500/SE530 doesn't need to be boosted.

Also, dare I say it without being lynched... but I've had sibilance issues with both the grey and the black filters. I noticed the sibilance is already there in the recording, but the Phonaks exaggerate it to a point where it's painful. Whether that could be tamed with an amp, I don't know, but it's just my personal experience with them. I know when I complained about sibilance with the W3, there were numerous owners who said it didn't exist for them - and then a month or so later, the same owners were also complaining about sibilance!

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 207
I have to agree with Sooziq. Having owned the Phonak PFE, they do exhibit a fair amount of Sibilance. To some people, this is very bothersome. Personally, when I hear Sibilance in a Headphone / IEM, I can not get that thought out of my head. It's then time to sell.

Comparing the Phonak to Shure SE530, the SE530 win hands down.

The Phonak is a good beginner IEM, as a step-up from what is included with most DAP's. But they are certainly not on the level of the Shure's.

As another option, maybe consider the Shure SE310 (mid level Shure). They IMO are also better than the Phonaks. The SE310 offer exceptional clarity, bass reproduction and mid range warmth. Their presentation is more neutral (accurate). Fit and isolation are better than the Phonak

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 207
I really can't believe my eyes here.
The phonaks amped (even a little E5) should best the 530s...
I experienced no sibilance whatsoever with them when I had them.
I really doubt that the se310 is better than them, too. They beat my atrios hands down, and I wish I kept the phonaks instead of returning them and getting these.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I experienced no sibilance whatsoever with them when I had them.
I really doubt that the se310 is better than them, too. They beat my atrios hands down, and I wish I kept the phonaks instead of returning them and getting these.

there doesn't seem to be a lot of confidence in your post.

Why should the PFEs best the SE530s?
and have you compared the PFEs with the SE310?
and they beat your Atrios hands down? even in Bass?

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 207
I haven't tried the shures, that is why i didn't give specific explanations.
However, the simple fact that respected head-fiers put the amped PFE up in the league of the W3, IE8 etc should say something.
The PFEs should best the 530 in clarity and fit, although what sounds better is entirely personal opinion. The PFEs offer ety-like detail while retaining a smooth midrange, outstanding highs, and precise, high quality bass.
They beat the atrios hands down in everything except sheer bass quantity. They didn't have that much less bass then the atrios, even in that case.
But whatever sounds good to you, sounds good to you.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ethan, no disrespect, but have you even heard the SE530? I think the OP is asking people who have actually had both earphones which ones they'd prefer. Apologies if you've owned them before, but it's not clear from your post, or your profile.

Quote:

I really doubt that the se310 is better than them, too.

Again, have you heard the SE310? I do remember reading that someone preferred his Phonaks to his previous SE310, but he'd heard both. I had the SE310 over a year ago, but can't remember much about them, other than the Phonaks have a bigger soundstage. But unless you've personally heard heard them for yourself, you can't possibly know how they'd compare with the Phonaks. You can only guess, which is misleading for other members unless you make it clear your thoughts are based on what you've read - and not what you've actually heard. I doubt anyone here would disagree about that, and if anyone does - please explain why.

Quote:

They beat my atrios hands down

And this is exactly why it's important to hear the earphones for yourself. Now that you have first-hand experience of the Atrios, you can say from personal experience that you prefer the Phonaks. But until you hear the SE530 and SE310, your claim that the Phonaks 'must' sound better is not very helpful to people who may think you've compared them with each other.
Quote:

I wish I kept the phonaks instead of returning them and getting these.

Why did you return them if you liked them so much? And can you sell the Atrios and buy the Phonaks again?

EDIT: Ooops, I type too slow! I see you just posted that you haven't heard the SE530!

Also, you should know there are other experienced Head-Fi'ers who don't put the Phonaks into the W3/IE8 bracket. That's why it's important that you hear them for yourself before guessing what might sound better than what. Think about the logic, you bought the Atrios based on other people's opinions - and you found them disappointing, so you should know that you can't guess the sound purely from what you've read, you have to try them for yourself.

Which Etys are you referring to when you refer to Ety-like detail? Did you hear the ER6i or the ER4P?

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #12 of 207
This is similar to how a top Light Heavyweight would compete against a Heavyweight in boxing/MMA (e.g: Roy Jones/Anderson Silva). They would definitely be competitive and win in certain aspects but overall, the weight disadvantage would begin to show (single vs triple armature). Phonaks would obviously have superior highs and most likely have decent midrange to compete with (though Shure may still be superior), but as far as overall presentation goes, 530's would probably win out in the long run, and for $100-150 more, they should. They have a comfortable fit, superior bass, better isolation, and generally balanced presentation (the only weakness really SQ wise is the highs). The kick here is that while most may agree that 530's are better, by how much would be a big debate, and the general concensus so far is that there isn't a big gap at all. Of course, there are other factors such as personal sound signature preference and durability issues, where Shure falls apart (But I've heard of some stories of Phonak defects lately as well).

Basically you won't go wrong with PFE which seems to be the undisputed king of mid tier in the IEM world. But should you be able to spend the money on the high tier, then 530 (or W3, I8, Trips fi or what have you) in most cases will sound better.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 207
I have owned the Phonak and SE310, and when pitting them head-ti-head, the SE310 easily come out on top for resolution, comfort and isolation.

The Phonak are good, do not get me wrong, but performance / quality is on part with other $100-125 IEMS.

The Shure's a simply a step above, but also priced in that respect if you compare MSRP.

You can pick up the SE310 used, and at this price, are a better IEM / deal than the Phonak

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As another option, maybe consider the Shure SE310 (mid level Shure). They IMO are also better than the Phonaks. The SE310 offer exceptional clarity, bass reproduction and mid range warmth. Their presentation is more neutral (accurate). Fit and isolation are better than the Phonak

I have the SCL4 which is similar or better than the SE310 I assume and the Phonak are better than the SCL4.

The Phonak is very accurate, has more detail and better bass. No contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back