if u think ur hd6x0 sounds dark, make sure u have worn it correctly.
May 11, 2005 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
not sure if everybody realised this, u ought to wear it this way:

Untitled-1.png

the back of the pad should be touching the back of your ears, instead of having the front pad touching the front of your ears. some may prefer to wear it in the middle...whiever way u like, move around and u get different sound.

the phone sounds rather dark when u move it to the back but sounded just very nice when it is worn the correct way as shown in the pic. hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: btw, that's a right ear on the picture LOL, in case some ppl didnt get it for whatever reasons

May 11, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 34
Good tip and nice drawing.
tongue.gif

I always wear my hd650 as in the picture on the right and really it doesn't sound dark at all.
580smile.gif

May 11, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 34
lol, here we go...

May 11, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Good tip and nice drawing.
tongue.gif

I always wear my hd650 as in the picture on the right and really it doesn't sound dark at all.
580smile.gif

lol, that's what i do, and that's why there is a check there huh
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 34
Fwiw I hear little or no difference with my HD580s whether the back, front, sides, whatever of the pads are touching my ears.

Just slap onto your ears and enjoy... this is getting a little on the @nal side, is it not?
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Fwiw I hear little or no difference with my HD580s whether the back, front, sides, whatever of the pads are touching my ears.

Just slap onto your ears and enjoy... this is getting a little on the @nal side, is it not?
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

perhaps ur ear canal is large enough for the sound to travel into your ears without the need for any direction.

May 11, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 34
i haven't compared it, since it's natural for me to wear it "correctly". though correctly is probably the wrong term here.

anyways, i would recommend removing the foam cover too, if you think it sounds too dark. quite a notable difference, and it frees up the space for your ears too. slightly increasing comfort.

May 11, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The HD650 *are* darker sounding than many phones. It's a fact. However placement may affect it to an additional small degree.

Bingo.

Of course positioning makes some difference, but the 650 are darker than a lot of headphones. There is nothing wrong with that.

May 11, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 34
Jan Meier suggest to put them very down too tip

May 11, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 34
IMO output impedance at the headphone jack is a lot more important, and something that's too often ignored with the HD6x0 series. The higher it gets, the darker & more bloated they can sound (particularly midbass). Speaker amps with headphone jacks are notorious for too-high impedance, but other amps can have this problem too.

May 11, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The HD650 *are* darker sounding than many phones. It's a fact. However placement may affect it to an additional small degree.

This I can't tell myself and I'll just take for granted, but I know I don't perceive my HD650 as 'dark' but rather as 'natural'. That's a fact also.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
This I can't tell myself and I'll just take for granted, but I know I don't perceive my HD650 as 'dark' but rather as 'natural'. That's a fact also.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

That actually sounds more like an opinion, though I would deny the fact that it is your opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regardless of how natural you think the HD650 sounds, it is still dark in relation to many other headphones -- and this is what Bangraman said.

May 11, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
That actually sounds more like an opinion, though I would deny the fact that it is your opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regardless of how natural you think the HD650 sounds, it is still dark in relation to many other headphones -- and this is what Bangraman said.

I think you have missed my point.

I mean, as long as it feels natural for me, it is not dark as a matter of (subjective) fact, without much need for comparisons with other phones.
By the way, my 'past' is crowded with brighter phones, having been a big AKG fan in the early times.. So I guess my feeling is not so 'blind' or naive - even forgetting of that innate sense of "natural" or "true" we can have..

Now, to attempt approaching the matter rationally, the (perceivedly) practically absolute lack of unwanted resonances in the drivers' diaphragms is what I'd call to explain the whole "dark" matter, together with the flat response (especially in the lower treble, admittedly a pretty uncommon thing for a headphone...). [edit: I forgot another likely factor, that is, the very low harmonic distortion] Such features need growing accustomed to, I guess. Especially when you're 'compromised' by a long exposure to the traditional, old generation headphone sound. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back