if the iPod is $100 cheaper would you pick it over the iHP-120?
Mar 15, 2004 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

KeithJohnson

New Head-Fier
I have a chance to get an open box iPod 3rd generation 20 GB for about (all prices Canadian) $425. The iRiver iHP-120 is about $525.

If they were the same price, I would definitely pick the iHP-120 myself. Normally the iPod is $550 here.

But at a hundred dollars less, if you had to decide, would you pick the iPod or still go for the iHP-120?

Mar 15, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 36
i just didnt like the ihp's interface. I went Karma and never looked back.
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 36
Hi -

I tried out and returned the Gmini 220 and a Zen Extra, also tried out my buddie's ipod, then got an ihp 120.

I will keep the 120. Yes, at $100 cheaper, the ipod becomes competitive. When I bought the 120, I got it for $60 USD cheaper than the retail for the ipod. Even a bit cheaper than the student discounted ipod.

Anyways - here's what you're missing out on with the ipod instead of the iriver:

-plug and play ease without invasive 3rd party software; drag and drop file/folder structure (which is a big deal for me, not for everyone)

-ogg playback

-convenient, dictataphone-style built in recording

-excellent FM radio including autoscan assignment of presents (I love this. Let's say you're in a new city. It will assign the 20 strongest signals to presets)

-optical line in/out

I guess you need to ask if these features are worth $100. I agree, tough call. If you listen to the radio on the go, or need a dictataphone, then I think it's a no-brainer to get the iriver.

Mar 15, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 36
I would not buy the Ipod for any price over $150 US. My requirements for a player included:

1) Small
2) Folder view
3) Powerful LCD remote
4) Recording capability
5) Plug and play
6) Long battery life (over 12 hours)
7) Great sound quality

The Ipod only meets three of the above requirements (small and plug/play and maybe sound quality), so it's a no go.

In fact, I think that the IHP is still the only player that fits those specs. The Muvo2 4gb with FM wired remote comes close to those specs, too. The Muvo2 remote is limited in functionality.

Mar 15, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 36
I would choose the iPod even at the same price. It is simple, classy, and plays music really well. That's pretty much all I want. I like my Mini for the same reasons.

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 36
i bought an iHP-120 to serve as both a portable and home (through optical out) source. i'm not planning to get a dedicated cd source until i can afford something like the shigaraki transport
evil_smiley.gif
. i think if you're just after a portable music player, you will be better off with the iPOD.
i love the iHP and love its versatility, but it really can't compete with the iPOD in terms of sheer useability.
and where's my random shuffe?

Mar 15, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 36
I really don't think that price should be a factor unless you don't think that you can make back that hundred dollars in your next paycheck ! Fact is, even if you save a hundred dollars, in the end, are you sacrificing certain features that you really wanted just because you were too short sighted to realize that you'll most likely waste a hundred dollars on some silly things in the future anyway...and seeing that in hindsight, you should have bought what you REALLY wanted ?

Makes no sense to save money that is going to be spent anyway. Me personally, hell no. I would NOT buy an iPod just because it was cheaper than the IHP. I bought my IHP because of what it offers over the iPod, and I don't regret it for a second. Even if the iPod sold for $75 dollars, I still wouldn't buy it because it offers nothing I'd be interested in. The Karma on the other hand, is another story. Gapless anyone ? Oh, and I mean if it was $75 dollars. Cus I'd still have to buy an extende warranty. I wouldn't buy it flat out obviously, as you already know, it's cheaper than the IHP, but most of you already know why I won't buy it. (3 reasons)

Mar 15, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 36
Depends on what you need. Do you need the recording, the longer battery life, the FM radio, the remote with LCD screen, the optical/line in/out? If you have no need for any of those things, I'd grab the iPod. It's a much simpler and intuitive interface, it sounds good, it's a well made product, and both are about the same size.

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

If you have no need for any of those things, I'd grab the iPod. It's a much simpler and intuitive interface, it sounds good, it's a well made product, and both are about the same size.

No offense, but that sentiment is really is played out and not even true if you're comparing the IHP. I'm really tired seeing this nonsense. Just because YOU may have found the IHP's interface complicated, does not mean that the pre-requisite for using one means needing to be a rocket scientist, nor does it mean that retards should buy iPods because they're "easier to use".

Sorry, but I had the features on my IHP, including the navigation, licked pretty much on the spot. Yes, the iPod DOES sound good, and yes, IT IS well made, but this has nothing to do with the IHP. The IHP is also very well made. It's a rock. But it doesn't really sound good. It sounds (yeah, you guessed it) fantastic !

So, let's straighten your post out a bit shall we ? Ok...

Do you want the recording, the longer battery life, the FM radio, the remote with LCD screen, the optical/line in/out? The plug and play connectivity ? (no need for drivers with OS's over Win 98) The ability to browse your folders as you would on your PC, AND the ability to browse in a data base mode ? Then I'd grab the IHP because it's DIFFERENT from the iPod. Not better, not worse....different.

Try staying objective.

Mar 16, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 36
let me be the first to say if you cannot figure out the ihp-120s interface you are dumb.

anyone i show my ihp-120 to can figure out the interface in like 2 seconds.

just memorize that ooo you hold the stop button to turn it off, and ooo you hold the play button to turn it to fm mode and you are good to go.

so dont' be making gross generalizations about a player that you have not used before. (and even if you have if you think its complicated, again, you are dumb).

that being said, i like the ipod since it looks pretty neat and its smaller, like all my friends have them, but i got the iriver since i wanted an LCD remote and a optical out. simple as that.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 36
At least for most people the irivers interface is hard. I don't really like it, but its not bad. Its just not as "subliminal" as my Karmas.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 36
At least for most people the irivers interface is hard. I don't really like it, but its not bad. Its just not as "subliminal" as my Karmas. its for a different kind of consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back