If the AD700 were too bright for me....?
Feb 4, 2009 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
I am trying to decide whether or not to jump on the SA5000...

If the AD700 were a little too bright for my tastes, would the SA5000 be too bright for me as well?

I listen mainly to electronica.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 14
Hahaha, oh sorry can't help laughing on that one.

Yes I think if the AD700 are too bright, the SA5000 will make you cry more, as the SA5000 from the threads I have read so far, seems to be the fastest, brightest and treble beast headphones on the market right now that is not discontinued or limited edition.

Use the trusty search button, which will throw up plenty of SA5000 reviews and impressions to help clarify what I said above and help you make your decision.

If you still want Soundstage and Open Air sound, but without the highs of the AD700, got the money, go for the AD2000 from Audio Technica. Yes technically the aluminum voice coils from Sennheiser are light and fast, but the HD595 had very slow and latent sound to me. But you can go for the HD650 as plenty of Head-Fiers have said the bass is great on the HD650 and sound good for electronica. You may just want to make sure you have a good DAC and Amp to support the HD650 and AD2000. I'm assuming you have the budget to purchase these if you are considering the SA5000.

Just as others expound over and over, and I personally can say, the media player you use, the output method, the DAC and Amp you have can dramatically change the enjoyment of your headphones. Before spending tons of money I would take a good look over your current setup and see where you need to make the most improvements.

Good luck.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to decide whether or not to jump on the SA5000...

If the AD700 were a little too bright for my tastes, would the SA5000 be too bright for me as well?

I listen mainly to electronica.

Thanks for the suggestions!

What sound card or other equipment would you be plugging these headphones into?

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Most likely yes. I don't find the AD700 to be bright sounding though. Comparing it to the SR60 for example makes them sound warm in my opinion. They do sound bright if I compare them to the PX100 though.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try some heavy EQ on those cans before you get ready to purchase another set (nothing wrong with EQing down)
edit: love the quote in the sig btw mule

IMO, doing that heavy of an EQ will degrade the sound, and it's basically trying to make the 'phones into something that they are inherently not.

(Thanks for the props; it's actually original too!
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha, oh sorry can't help laughing on that one.

Yes I think if the AD700 are too bright, the SA5000 will make you cry more, as the SA5000 from the threads I have read so far, seems to be the fastest, brightest and treble beast headphones on the market right now that is not discontinued or limited edition.

Use the trusty search button, which will throw up plenty of SA5000 reviews and impressions to help clarify what I said above and help you make your decision.

If you still want Soundstage and Open Air sound, but without the highs of the AD700, got the money, go for the AD2000 from Audio Technica. Yes technically the aluminum voice coils from Sennheiser are light and fast, but the HD595 had very slow and latent sound to me. But you can go for the HD650 as plenty of Head-Fiers have said the bass is great on the HD650 and sound good for electronica. You may just want to make sure you have a good DAC and Amp to support the HD650 and AD2000. I'm assuming you have the budget to purchase these if you are considering the SA5000.

Just as others expound over and over, and I personally can say, the media player you use, the output method, the DAC and Amp you have can dramatically change the enjoyment of your headphones. Before spending tons of money I would take a good look over your current setup and see where you need to make the most improvements.

Good luck.

I figured someone would laugh...
tongue_smile.gif

From reading, I was 95% sure that they would be too bright for me but I needed some final advice just to confirm it based on my experience of the AD700. I wanted to fill that little hole of doubt in my mind.

As I already have the HD600/650, thanks for the excellent advice anyway! They sound great...I don't think they can get any better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment would you be plugging these headphones into?

Setup goes like this:

Prelude (Coax out) / DAC TC7510 / PPAV2 / HD600/HD650 which I currently have right now

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this rate, you might as well buy the HD600.

Currently do and Im lovin it. I dont think there is anything better out there for me than the HD600/650...

Thanks for the advice everyone...Maybe I should put my setup in my sig to help make everything more clear in the future...Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 14
Well looking at your setup, seems to me your next project should be an Amp. The Beresford already well respected, but the PPAV2 is the piece that looks out of place there.

I'd go to the Amp Forum and ask around for a good tube amp for your Senns.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 14
As much as how excellent tube amps sound...Means more cash to spend (tube rolling and replacing)

Based on my needs, I do not think it is the most efficient setup. I also do some gaming and movies so I dont think using a tube amp would be financially the best thing for me.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Interesting enough, tubes last far longer than I thought, 10,000 hours.

Anyways, yeah that's why I haven't had interest in tubes either. Don't have the patience for replacing, rolling tubes.

There are still solid state with tube like sound. And for gaming should be OK I think, I never use EAX or other 3D imaging systems when I game anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back