If not Bose QC3, then what?
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So, Bose QC3s go for $350 or so, and we can all agree that they certainly don't sound as good as similarly priced headphones. But they don't sound bad either. They're fun cans, maybe with less detail than one would like for $350, but I'm not sure super-detail is necessary for portable listening. Still, $350. The noise-cancellation works pretty well, with or without music. I detected a hissy, clicky noise, but it's a good sight better than the grinding low rumble of the airplane. There was less noise with these than, say, the HD25s. They're as good as IEMs, better than some even. Plus, they're small and comfortable, two things which the HD25s aren't really. AFAIK, the main contender against QC3 is HD25. And I think QC3 wins on all but price (Yes, they don't sound as good, but I'm not sure the difference is great enough to matter in the noisy-plane context). Or is Audio Technica's relatively cheap noise-cancelling can comparable? What are our options if we want supra-aural, super-isolating headphones (e.g., if IEMs are out).

Edit: I know about the PXC450s, selling for the same price as the QC3, but they're too big, as far as I can see. How do the PXC350s fare?

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 28
Before I got IEMs, I used a relatively inexpensive pair of Aiwa noise canceling folding 'phones. What I found was that they mostly reduced the mid-high frequency whine in the airplane. That helped a lot - but IMHO it's not as good as IEMs with a good seal. The IEMs are much more like wearing earplugs - a general reduction in all sounds. My UM1 & IM716 IEMs are both considerably better sounding than the Aiwa - with or without exterior noise.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 28
just get an IEM, and be done with it.
i tried QC3 briefly and i can tell there are crap injected into my ears without any music on.

ANC7? i think sounds better than the QC3, but is also bigger, and use AA batteries, but u can listen to them without NC feature which QC3 cant do.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 28
one day ill go to an apple store and try out a pair of QC3's (i think they have them there...) just so i can compare them to my ANC7's, but, according to an online video review i watched, the ANC7's sound better, cancel slightly less noise, and are less comfortable than the QC3's. "sound better" is what we should take from that. Well, that, and the fact that they're about 1/3 of the price

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 28
your ER 6i's will ruin any noise cancellation headphone in terms of making stuff quieter

and it doesnt take much to beat bose in terms of SQ

maybe some klipsch image X10's for some warm fun sounding IEMs with good isolation?

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 28
What do u want us to say? Go Buy Bose?

probably if all headphones on earth vanished..maybe then i ll go for bose..or maybe i ll start carrying around speakers on my shoulder with a trolley carrying the power supply

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do u want us to say? Go Buy Bose?

probably if all headphones on earth vanished..maybe then i ll go for bose..or maybe i ll start carrying around speakers on my shoulder with a trolley carrying the power supply

If Bose is the best options, yes, I hope Head-Fiers would admit as much. I got to compare the QC3 with ANC7 last night, and the ANC7s are certainly more detailed than the QC3s, though I suspect people with low quality recordings/files would prefer the QC3s. Noise-cancellation is significantly better on the QC3s though.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Bose is the best options, yes, I hope Head-Fiers would admit as much. I got to compare the QC3 with ANC7 last night, and the ANC7s are certainly more detailed than the QC3s, though I suspect people with low quality recordings/files would prefer the QC3s. Noise-cancellation is significantly better on the QC3s though.

I decided a while a go that closed cans would afford me some isolation and good sound. I bought the K81DJ and AT ES7s. I have a big head so those are literally torture after a few minutes. I switched to IEMs.

The Bose regardless of what people say about SQ are infinitely more comfortable that closed cans that act like vise grips on your head.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 28
Just by the way, the headphones aren't for me. I'm happy with my HD25s and ER-6i for airplanes. However, I must say that the QC3s isolate more than the HD25s (with velour pads. I've not compared with pleather).

Righto. My friend doesn't like most IEMs, though he loved the Klipsch Image. I suppose if he was going to go for the QC3, he might as well go for the Image, eh? So...the QC3s can't play music without the noise cancelling on? What happens when the battery runs down?

I agree with oarnura that most adequately isolating closed headphones are uncomfortable. At least, they're less comfy than Bose's offerings. So, if IEMs are out of the question, well, you do the math.

At the moment, is sounds like the ANC7s are the way to go, if my friend doesn't want IEMs. He'll have to decide if the decrease in SQ and increase in price is worth the Bose's added NC effectiveness. In the meantime, I shall convince him to get the Image...

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just by the way, the headphones aren't for me. I'm happy with my HD25s and ER-6i for airplanes. However, I must say that the QC3s isolate more than the HD25s (with velour pads. I've not compared with pleather).

Righto. My friend doesn't like most IEMs, though he loved the Klipsch Image. I suppose if he was going to go for the QC3, he might as well go for the Image, eh? So...the QC3s can't play music without the noise cancelling on? What happens when the battery runs down?

I agree with oarnura that most adequately isolating closed headphones are uncomfortable. At least, they're less comfy than Bose's offerings. So, if IEMs are out of the question, well, you do the math.

At the moment, is sounds like the ANC7s are the way to go, if my friend doesn't want IEMs. He'll have to decide if the decrease in SQ and increase in price is worth the Bose's added NC effectiveness. In the meantime, I shall convince him to get the Image...

Unfortunately the only real options are IEMs or Active Noise cancelling cans.

The ANC7 or the Bose are the only main options for ANC phones. Well the Monster Beats do ANC and cost the same as QC3. They also sound a bit better than the QC3.

To be honest of all those choices the Audio Technica ANC7 or IEMs would be the best option. The ANC7 is 1/3 the price of the Bose and offers many advantages.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 28
Pretty much all my friends bought BOSE QC3...and they think its the best...but seriously...I much prefer my ESW9 for much less...

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much all my friends bought BOSE QC3...and they think its the best...but seriously...I much prefer my ESW9 for much less...

But they don't isolate much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back