If it is not packed by UPS, the insurance doesn't cover any damage ?
Oct 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kodreaming

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased an used tube amp. The item came damaged (broken tubes), when I contacted the shipper's UPS store, I was told the shipper didn't let UPS pack it, but instead used the original packaging. Hence, the damage is not covered by anything.   

I felt it is the shipper's fault, but during the transaction, neither one of us mentioned insured shipping explicitly.  Should I let this go or the shipper should take full responsibility ?

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 3
I head the shipping department where I work and we get this all the time. Usually UPS covers $100 of the item unless you ask for extra coverage. 

But...it's their discretion on whether the package was "packed properly". If they decide it wasn't (it's usually not), they don't have to pay you anything. 

You can read a little more about it here: http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Fact+Sheets/UPS+Declared+Value+Q&A

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 3
If the amp was bought from a store I'd find it a case of bad customer service if they're not taking at least partial responsibility. Unless they specifically mentioned the shipping terms on their website. Same goes for when it's from the classifieds: shared responsibility. Translates in for example a 50% refund of the tubes if there were no agreements beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back