If I'm too broke to retire, it will be you guys' fault...
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Some geek

Head-Fier
So I got here a few weeks ago, following a link from a friend...

KCS-75
Koss A-130
Creative EP-630
and Senn PXC 150 Noise Cancel caught on sale for 50 bucks.

I'm thinking of starting a thread "A Poor Man's Guide to Headfi"

Really it's not that bad... about 160 bucks for what I consider to be a very versatile low-end "stable." But I must stop now before the addiction gets out of hand.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 11
The only safe way is to leave and never come back - might have to include never (and I mean never!) using a computer that has an internet connection but that's about the only way of getting away.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Head-Fi is like a bright shiny light that you can never take your eyes off of
eggosmile.gif
After this month I'll be $1500 lighter: with SACD and a good DAC. Good thing I already started saving for retirement, cause if I didn't have any money set aside, I might just have to spend it on shiny new headphones
580smile.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 11
hee. so what did u think about them?

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some geek

KCS-75
Koss A-130
Creative EP-630

Really it's not that bad... about 160 bucks for what I consider to be a very versatile low-end "stable." But I must stop now before the addiction gets out of hand.

may god have mercy on ur soul....

coz head-fiers wont have any on ur wallet

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep
hee. so what did u think about them?

The PXC 150 has been somewhat of a disappointment out of the box. It's just muddy sounding. Perhaps a break in would change that. The NC works ok for low constant sounds (as it was designed to do) but of little use for anything else. I got them mainly to lend to my 74 YO mother in law who can't do INMs and was taking a trip. I guess for "loanerphones" they are OK so far. Looking foward to a break in period.

KCS-75 Amazing for size, weight, price blah blah blah.

Koss A-130 I'd have to ask the UPS man.
tongue.gif

Creative EP-630 SWEET for sub 40 bucks. Only had about an hour with them but so far it's my fav. I really like the isolation vs others. (compared to KCS-75 etc) That and a G4 iPod is a decent "rat rig" for this newbie.

My father had some decent headphones circa 1960 and it is amazing to me how few of today's cans can reproduce what I remember as a kid... Of course I had younger ears then too.
icon10.gif

I would have thought that (like most technology) even the cheap stuff today would spank anything that old. That ain't the case. It's been hard to match his stuff's quality. -- Or perhaps I'm just getting older.

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some geek

KCS-75
Koss A-130
Creative EP-630

The "guide" sounds like a good idea! Especially considering the "retired" concept!! And even moreso considering those of us who have already retired.

.....and for whom, all hope is lost.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 11
My guess is that a nasty "live socket" incident on a Head-Fi DIY project will sort out all your pension worries ....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel
My guess is that a nasty "live socket" incident on a Head-Fi DIY project will sort out all your pension worries ....
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was thinking seriously about building an amp(for fun, as well as to save some cash)but I don't know if I really wanna look up the thread that you're refering to!
blink.gif

tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 11
After I get an amp around xmas time I'm going to phone my ISP and get them to ban me access to this site.

One day close to retirement I will be the bum with good headphones described in the book 'Freakonomics'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back