If I'm a Grado fan, which Sennheisers will be right for me?
Oct 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking the HD595s. Am I right?

Also, how does the 595's bass compare to MS-1s?

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 41
In my experience NOT the 580s. Negatives should be as helpful as positives, right?

Mooch

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience NOT the 580s. Negatives should be as helpful as positives, right?

Mooch

Heh, my experience is completely opposite. Technically, HD595 is brighter, but the veil in uppermids is so bad that it leaves Grado head wondering why guitars are so dull. HD580 is so much more balanced, perfect combination for Grado-Sennheiser pair.

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, my experience is completely opposite. Technically, HD595 is brighter, but the veil in uppermids is so bad that it leaves Grado head wondering why guitars are so dull. HD580 is so much more balanced, perfect combination for Grado-Sennheiser pair.

I agree with MaZa about the HD595. I would go for the HD580 or if you can find a HD600, than I would spring for that. I feel that is a good combination with the Grados. I had the Hd595, HD580, HD600, and HD650. Much luck to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
If I'm a Grado fan, which Sennheisers will be right for me?

None. The HD595 and HD-25 do not compare to any grados I have heard (all of them). Not sure why they are so popular, but they are extremely over rated.

The HD580 is not as overrated as the latter two sennheisers, but it sounds nothing like a grado and will displease a lover of the grado sound signature. Needless to say the same thing goes for the HD600/650.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 41
The HD-590s. They are a very ...divisive headphone, but they have a very upfront in-your-face presentation reminiscent of Grados. In my experience, the 590s offer a truly epic soundstage, even when driven by my humble Yamaha receiver's headphone jack. Some of the ambient music I listen to (Biosphere, Global Communication) sounds like it's originating from several feet outside of the headphones.
lambda.gif
Their frequency response is a bit uneven (midbass phoned and said it'd be in later) but I find the 590s to be an excellent foil for my much better behaved 650s. It may be that the midbass issues improve with proper amplification. The only dedicated headphone amp I have used to drive the 590s is my Gilmore Lite, which makes for a very detail-rich, if somewhat fatiguing experience. As a bonus, the 590s (and the 570s like them) are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, moreso than the 650s and certainly any Grado.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 41
I heard 4 sennheiser headphones PX100 - HD212 - HD580 and HD650 and only the MS-1 and old SR-325 and to me no senn ever sounded a bit like a grado even my HD650 well driven. The senn are meant to be laid back where the grado are built to rock it out front row hands in the air. Really not the same experience in my book.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 41
None. The sound characteristics of Sennheiser is vastly different from Grado headphones. Sennheiser dosen't make bad headphones, but once you've started to appreciate (or love) the Grado sound, it's hard to listen to the Senns.

I'll put it like this. I've owned a pair of HD600 for about seven years. I've been very content with them ever since I bought them. I've vastly prefered them over other headphones. Then my brother bought a pair of SR225. The Grados (stock) is a vast improvement (for me anyway) over a Silver Dragon recabled HD600 (excellent synergy).

And since I got my GS1000, the gap has only gotten wider. I don't see myself getting any Sennheiser untill they release their new flagship headphone.

Grados are so much more intimate and musical than the quite veiled Sennheisers. While proper amplification and a good source will fix some of the higher-end Sennheiser issues, they won't go away completely.

Stay with your Grados. While getting tastes of different flavours may grant you experience, it's far from a worthwhile investment. If you're going to upgrade, get a higher-end Grado can since there's no point in carring several 'equal' headphones.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 41
While I agree that its hard to set up any Senn to sound like Grados... you can come close with the right set up - HD580/600s, and even the HD650s can sound very close to the SR225s and RS-1s. But... you have to spend an inordinate amount to achieve that "Gradiosh" sound. So why do it?

Although... you may find you prefer the richer, warmer, bigger, fuller sound of the Senns - if you want to spend the money. Though, they won't quite match the clarity of the Grados - close... but... not quite.

You have to make a slight compromise - one way, or the other.

Though... if you want both - get the ATH AD2000's - all the detail and clarity of the Grados, and most of the rich, warm, big, full sound of the Senns, without the set up requirements of the Senns. Once burnt in, with the right setup, their bass is virtually as good as the Senns, but clearer and more detailed.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that its hard to set up any Senn to sound like Grados... you can come close with the right set up - HD580/600s, and even the HD650s can sound very close to the SR225s and RS-1s. But... you have to spend an inordinate amount to achieve that "Gradiosh" sound. So why do it?

Although... you may find you prefer the richer, warmer, bigger, fuller sound of the Senns - if you want to spend the money. Though, they won't quite match the clarity of the Grados - close... but... not quite.

You have to make a slight compromise - one way, or the other.

Though... if you want both - get the ATH AD2000's - all the detail and clarity of the Grados, and most of the rich, warm, big, full sound of the Senns, without the set up requirements of the Senns. Once burnt in, with the right setup, their bass is virtually as good as the Senns, but clearer and more detailed.

Yeah. I heard the ATH-AD series was a decent compromise between both. I have both the Sennheiser HD555 and Grado SR60 and im looking for something in between. That is why I want to get the AD700 or AD900 in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back