If I were wanting to become an electrical engineer would it be best if I got a BSEE degree?
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #31 of 39
Update: I used ABET's accredited program search again and this time searched for accredited acoustical engineering programs in both Arizona and Washington but I found nothing.

@wuwhere: If this is the case then you are 100% correct, I do need to go for my masters degree instead of just a bachelors degree. I know that there have been some programs mentioned in this thread that offer master's degrees but if you guys know of any others feel free to make them known to me.

EDIT: @wuwhere: I sent an email asking PSU if their graduate program in acoustics is ABET accredited like you said I should back in post 5 of this thread and I am awaiting their response.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #32 of 39
You may also sign-up for an internship/co-op programs. In a nutshell, these programs let you work for a company that makes products or provide services similar to your interests during your school breaks, mostly summer jobs. Or any other company that designs and makes products. You will learn invaluable knowledge from experienced engineers, how they come up with products from concept to consumers. You don't learn these things in school. There's a lot of interaction amongst marketing, finance, engineering, sales, manufacturing, and product support teams. As an intern/coop you don't get involved with these but you hear things and figure it out.

You may also want to take some software classes. Everything nowadays takes software from simulation and modeling to design to programming an FPGA. Learn how to use unix and linux, at least. Maybe even C language programming and/or LabVIEW.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #33 of 39
  You may also sign-up for an internship/co-op programs. In a nutshell, these programs let you work for a company that makes products or provide services similar to your interests during your school breaks, mostly summer jobs. Or any other company that designs and makes products. You will learn invaluable knowledge from experienced engineers, how they come up with products from concept to consumers. You don't learn these things in school. There's a lot of interaction amongst marketing, finance, engineering, sales, manufacturing, and product support teams. As an intern/coop you don't get involved with these but you hear things and figure it out.

You may also want to take some software classes. Everything nowadays takes software from simulation and modeling to design to programming an FPGA. Learn how to use unix and linux, at least. Maybe even C language programming and/or LabVIEW.

Thanks for the advice.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #34 of 39
Would it be fine if I were to enter a different kind of engineering program than acoustical engineering (electrical engineering is one of several alternatives I am considering) or would I lack the specific knowledge needed to be a competent acoustical engineer if I did this? The reason I ask this is that me and my family might be moving to a different state and I would like to go to school inside the state that we move to but since there seems to be few acoustical engineering programs (at least acoustical engineering programs accredited by ABET) in the country I may have to enter a different kind of engineering program because whichever state we move to may not have an acoustical engineering program.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #36 of 39
Anyone?

EDIT: I've decided that I'm going to enter an electrical engineering program instead of an acoustical engineering program and design amplifiers when I'm out of college because whichever state I move to may not have an acoustical engineering program but I checked and all of the states we are considering moving to have several electrical engineering programs.

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #39 of 39
  I am an Electrical Engineer at Purdue and there is a chance you can take EE classes with the acoustical background you are seeking. That way if you decide to not follow Acoustical at the end of your bachelors you can still get a good job being an Electrical Engineer. This is one of the classes I am talking about https://engineering.purdue.edu/ece495m/

One of the states my family is thinking about moving to is Indiana. If we move there (I hope we do), I will try to enter the Multidisciplinary Engineering program and study acoustics but I have to face the fact that we might not end up moving there and that wherever we do move to may not have a program that would give me the knowledge needed to be an acoustical engineer.

EDIT: @rockman2219 and @trimer1: Would you mind sharing some pros and cons to the state of Indiana?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back