If I were to retire at say 40, could I pick up an insrument?
Oct 21, 2004 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Would it be to late to start playing an instument? I mean with the goal of starting a band or getting in one? Not neccessarily to make money, just to have fun. A gig here and there would be cool though. Or is it to hard to learn music theory at that point?

The reason I ask is I am dead set on retiring early. But what to do with my time
wink.gif
I think I'd enjoy it but I can already "feal" my creativity fading in other things I do.

PS: Probably Bass guitar
wink.gif
Which probably means acoustic guitar to start.

Oct 21, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
ABSOLUTELY!!!

YES! I might start sooner than that...we'll see
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #6 of 9
music is much easier to learn then Engineering, yet at uni there are 4 60+ people in my advanced math foundations lectures, and there's 1 75year old in my discrete maths lecture.

Even though your mind may adapt more easily at a younger age I don't see why someone 40+ couldn't learn anything.

Oct 22, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Go for it. Unless you start at a _very_ young age (like 4-10 years old), you won't get much benefit from your young age. Actually I think it's easier to learn instruments during or after teenage years, but as the age grows, people have less and less patience to spend years practicing the basics of their instrument. The semi-advanced music theory is something you can learn in matter of months, if you practice it daily, and that will be far above the knowledge level needed for playing ie. bass or basic rhythm guitar. You'll learn while you play, it's a fact.

Learning an instrument is most about motivation. If you can practice daily, you will progress well. With playing guitar for 30-60 minutes per day, you will learn the basics in 1-2 years, and after 5 years you are able to play quite challenging pieces. The speed of learning depends on practice time and on how many styles you wish to learn. If you concentrate only in ie. classical guitar, jazz guitar or rock guitar, you will learn it faster, but stay pretty green on another areas, heh. Quite much like me. I can metal guitar pretty well, but have trouble plucking fur elise on a classical guitar, hehe.

Keep in mind that electric guitar or bass do not require starting with an acoustic, if you don't wish to do so. Usually people start with acoustic guitar just because it's cheaper to get. Bass has the lowest learning curve, so it could be a good idea to start with it.

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Go for it. Unless you start at a _very_ young age (like 4-10 years old), you won't get much benefit from your young age. Actually I think it's easier to learn instruments during or after teenage years, but as the age grows, people have less and less patience to spend years practicing the basics of their instrument. The semi-advanced music theory is something you can learn in matter of months, if you practice it daily, and that will be far above the knowledge level needed for playing ie. bass or basic rhythm guitar. You'll learn while you play, it's a fact.

Learning an instrument is most about motivation. If you can practice daily, you will progress well. With playing guitar for 30-60 minutes per day, you will learn the basics in 1-2 years, and after 5 years you are able to play quite challenging pieces. The speed of learning depends on practice time and on how many styles you wish to learn. If you concentrate only in ie. classical guitar, jazz guitar or rock guitar, you will learn it faster, but stay pretty green on another areas, heh. Quite much like me. I can metal guitar pretty well, but have trouble plucking fur elise on a classical guitar, hehe.

Keep in mind that electric guitar or bass do not require starting with an acoustic, if you don't wish to do so. Usually people start with acoustic guitar just because it's cheaper to get. Bass has the lowest learning curve, so it could be a good idea to start with it.

Cool.

It's funny. I think this will be my 1867th hobby
wink.gif
I might just start reading books. Who knows. Thanks for the shove in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back