If I started with ER4P, what should I get next?
Nov 21, 2002 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

charlesb

New Head-Fier
It happened like this: I learned about headroom from a discussion forum about ipods. This led to the ER6/Total Airhead bundle. That led to reviews of the ER4, which led to head-fi, fixup, headwize, etc. So I now both the ER4P and the ER6 with the Total Airhead amp, and a META42 on order. Almost all my listening is "portable", either a laptop, ipod, or occasionaly, a portable CD player.

The question: If I want to add a set of cans that sound as good as the ER4P but are non-canal, what should I get? Money -is- important here, because I just don't have the $$ to spend the $269 of the 4P setup again, at least for a few months
smily_headphones1.gif
, but I think I need some cans that are not quite as totally isolating as the etys and are simpler to take on/off in situations like an office. I am pleased, astounded, astonished with the ER4 sound, so what should I get in a non-canal phone that sounds similar? I would describe the ER4 as clear, neutral, detailed, excellent tight bass, although non-visceral, and that would be what I am looking for in a more converntional over-the-ear setup.

Suggestions?

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 4
i would look into:
ultrasone 650
sony mdr-v6

kelly says the ultrasone 650 is great. get it from http://www.meier-audio.com/ for $140.

i'd search shopping.yahoo.com for the mdr-v6 if you want that. it'll only be around $60 plus shipping.

i believe somebody is writing a huge review of all the mid-priced closed headphones, so you may want to wait and see what comes out of that. he seems to be getting jude-itis though.
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 4
I have ER4P/4S and I used to own a Sony V6 along with it. The V6s were my first cans from this board. Good cans before i got the V6s. But after extended listening sessions on the ER4S, I put on the V6s, turned on some music, pulled them off my head and flung them across the room (a reflex). Well, i didn't really fling them across the room (needed to resell the damned things), but you can see how my reaction was. After listening to the neutral sound of the Etys for so long, the V6s just became so harsh to my ears that I literally could not stand listening to them.

If you're not expecting a closed/isolating headphone, get the KSC-35s. They're discontinued, but you can probably find them somewhere. They're by far my most used headphone. I use them ALL the time. When i finally get my portable hd-mp3 player, most of my time will be spent on the KSC-35s and some Ety love when i have to block sounds out (studying & travelling).

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Sony Eggo D66SL . The only problem is that the Eggo is not really sealed. Apart from that, uncommonly good headphones in such a small space for a reasonable price. For fully sealed, I would say an HD280 Pro seems to meet your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back