If I Rip a CD in iTunes will it becomre WAV or MP3?
Jul 17, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gbjerke

1000+ Head-Fier
I'll rip them at 320kb/s

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Depends what you have set the 'Import Settings' to. For 320kbps you have the option of using MP3 or AAC, both lossy codecs.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 12
they will rip into whatever you set your preferences for? I'm not sure if I understand the question. You can choose WAV, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, MP3. I would go with a lossless if your CDs are in good condition, go with ALAC (apple lossless). Good quality, and compressed to save space. If they are less than perfect CDs, use EAC or another close substitute, if that sort of thing matters to you.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Like Krmathis said, you can change the setting from MP3 to AAC, to AIFF, Apple Losseless, etc. Better check what your settings are. I didnt when I started this madness and ended up going back and re-ripping everything to losseless format.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One caveat: You have to buy the iTunes Plus version. Otherwise, you're stuck with DRM.

Not correct!
None of the files you rip from CD in iTunes will be DRM protected. Regardless the codec and bitrate setting.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll rip them at 320kb/s

320 kb/s is usually a bitrate for a lossy format, so to strictly answer your question, it will be in mp3. If you choose WAV, you won't be able to choose a bitrate, it'll be a bit-perfect lossless rip.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
320 kb/s is usually a bitrate for a lossy format, so to strictly answer your question, it will be in mp3.

...or AAC.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
320 kb/s is usually a bitrate for a lossy format, so to strictly answer your question, it will be in mp3. If you choose WAV, you won't be able to choose a bitrate, it'll be a bit-perfect lossless rip.

So whats the difference between Apple Lossless and WAV?

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So whats the difference between Apple Lossless and WAV?

Apple Lossless is an audio codec that compress the audio data without data loss. On average to 60-70% of the source file size.
WAV is an audio container, which can store uncompressed audio data from CD (PCM) or audio data compressed lossy to MP3, GSM or like. Mostly used for CD audio though.

So in short Apple Lossless have the benefit that it compress the audio data without loss, and the fact that it support metadata and artwork (tags).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back