If I played 15 hertz at 150 dB would I be deaf?
Feb 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #32 of 46
Something random but, someone mentioned it might cause a lung collapse,
A while back ( 4 years i think ) I was watching a show about a car hydraulics and car audio show. A specific car, a mini van from what I saw, was completely full of subs, tweeters and mids, literally full, only the front to seats were empty ( there were also amps inside somewhere I'm sure ). When the speaker were playing at full with a bass filled song there was a 20dB difference from the driver's seat to the passenger's while the driver's was at 173dB and the passenger's was 193dB. The windows were made of acrylic and to keep the doors held on they used half-inch think bolts that were 8in. long.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #33 of 46
One of my father's closest friends was the creative director at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow, and he once put on a play that required the accurate reproduction of very low sub-bass, 10-20Hz or so. He commissioned custom subwoofers to be built, driven by amplifiers the likes of which even God has never seen. When the subwoofers were fired at a live performance for the first time, they literally started a stampede, as people thought that an earthquake was underway and trampled each other trying to get out of the theatre. I don't know exact year and statistics though, but you could probably look it up.

X2 on live organ - definitely an awesome show, even if you don't care for the music. I played around on the Princeton University Chapel organ, even though I don't really know what I'm doing on an organ (used to play piano pretty seriously though) and those low notes are something. Even more something when you're in the audience hearing someone play that knows what they're doing.

RE the OP: I hear Lockheed-Martin Skunkworks have a pretty big subwoofer that they use to test the structural integrity of their planes, so you may want to ring them up and give it a try.

Fill out your will first, though.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 46
just spotted this- i have experienced 160db at 20hz (pressure mode-car audio project) its very loud, sure- but as the note is so low i would describe the experience as like diving very deep, its more of a pressure experience realy.- different!

its rather uncomfortable after 130, but it never made my ears 'ring'.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #39 of 46
"Sphincter-loosening" is the proper term
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #40 of 46
How far down the range can a human hear? that seems like it would be really close to being out of the realm of possiblity.
May not make you deaf, but surely your chest might cave in?

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 46
Better don the rubber gonch as a precaution.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to a shooting range and find out

My thoughts too, 10-15 rounds per second would be quite an earful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back