If I love Itzhak Perlman, what's next?
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think of Mutter and Perlman as more similar than different in the sense that they both care a great deal about beauty of tone and the fact that any sort of strict performance practice being subservient to their interpretive vision for a particular work.

In latter years Mutter took this to the extreme; for instance, her recording of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and use of excessive vibrato. I would say Perlman and Mutter are polar opposites.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In latter years Mutter took this to the extreme; for instance, her recording of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and use of excessive vibrato. I would say Perlman and Mutter are polar opposites.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, two votes to one - I'll bow out of this discussion
smily_headphones1.gif
However, I'll stand by my original assertion that if the OP enjoys Perlman, he will most likely enjoy Mutter as well. Cheers!

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed on the latter years. IMO, Mutter's rendition of the Tchaikovsky is something of a mishap. Her latest performances sound brusque, unnaturally forced, and her exaggeration of vibrato lends to a shrill, almost overbearing tone. I do not find Perlman as such. "Perlman has a lush, rich violin tone with wonderfully varied vibrato and a bow technique that generally leans to the connected/legato style of playing" - generally well-put here.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 25
agree about Mutter. I love her readings of more modern music, but can't really stand her interpretations of romantic stuff (except the Sibelius Concerto).

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohlite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agree about Mutter. I love her readings of more modern music, but can't really stand her interpretations of romantic stuff (except the Sibelius Concerto).

Mutter's recording of the cinematic, film score-like Korngold Violin Concerto is superb; her innate lyricism really shines through here (with Previn & LSO). On the other hand, the Tchaikovsky (which is on the same CD) largely pales in comparison (Previn & VPO).

YouTube - Anne-Sophie Mutter, Korngold Violin Concerto (3rd Mvt.)
YouTube - Anne-Sophie Mutter - Korngold Violin Concerto 1st mvt

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 25
I can't believe no one's mentioned Gil Shaham yet. My favorite violinist.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 25
I'd suggest old time violinists: Heifetz, Elman, Kreisler, Ysaye, Oistrakh, Menuhin, Milstein, Rabin, Kogan, Szigeti, Francescatti, Thibaud, everyone has his own style, No modern violinist comes even close except maybe Hahn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back