If I like Grado would I like the Sennheiser HD 595
Apr 7, 2008 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

EnderX

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if I like the Grado "in your face" and up close sound, would I like the Sennheiser HD 595? Please tell me what you think I want to get some Grado 225s and maybe some HD 595 but if the sound is similar I should only get on and save the money to get a different sound altogether.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 15
I haven't heard the 595 but other Senns I've heard are quite different from the Grados I've owned/listened to. There's nothing wrong with having several different sounding headphones and switching between them- though I love both my 280s and my SR80s, I find things I like about each one every time I change them.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 15
I didn't. I was coming from an SR-125 and was hoping the Senn 595 would be a good upgrade from there. When I tried it out, I understood what they meant by the Sennheiser veil. That being said, I went to get an Alessandro MS-2 instead and did not regret it. These are awesome cans (they are on my head right now).

You may also want to consider AKG. I have the K-601 and I think they're a good complement to my Grados.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 15
the senns take more time to break in mentally but once they do, my grados(ms1/sr80/sr60) were no match against the senns. the 595s i liked right away because i was already used to my 555s which to me were better than my alessandro ms1s

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 15
I never like any aggresive and forward sound kind of cans, so i don't like Grado. I find HD595 quite good for my needs, they sound so smooth and good for relaxing, comfortable too. But if i were you, i would get HD600 or HD650 instead, the bass on HD595 is a little shy for me. Many people says Sennheiser sounds boring, but i really like them because they sound soooo relaxing and really good for classical and jazz music.

All depends on what you like. If you like grado, you may want to purchase a higher end Grado or maybe an Ultrasone HFI780. They sounds aggresive and forward sounding, good for rock/metal music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry dude, no matter what anyone says here, you'll never know until you try it yourself.

Agreed. Until I put a bit of time into my SR80s, I wasn't sure I liked them. Plus, everyone's tastes are different. If you like keeping one type of sound amongst your 'phones, that's up to you.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 15
It really depends on what you like about Grados. When I heard the Senn HD595's, the first and last thing I thought was "not bad".

Honestly, they're really not that exciting. Better soundstage than Grados, and pretty neutral overall. They're certainly more exciting than the HD650's, but have way less bass.

short answer: probably not

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the advice people. That's pretty much what I needed to hear. I wanted an exciting 'phone. I already have some AKG K701s and I really enjoy them and my Grado SR60s. I was looking for something more aggressive like the 60s and it seems the Sennheiser 595s aren't the ones.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 15
I bet you would like the HFI-780.
Great mids, close to Grado highs, but with bass to die for.
This is in comparison to my RS-1's.
Both are good.
But, if I could only keep one can, it would have to be the 780 or (more likely) D5000/D2000 (both).
I had the HD595 (twice over the years, now sold again) and it is no comparison SQ-wise to these cans -- to *me*.
If I want easy-listening, I use my HD580 (better than 595 to *me*) for a smooth Senn sound.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure if you jumped up a few levels of grado, you won't be disappointed.

x2

I am thoroughly pleased with my 325i. So pleased that I catch myself wondering why I am migrating even higher up the Grado chain ... but then again, that might be it!

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey you could weird like me:

MS'1s = love them
HD-580's = love them

Just trying to say, just because you are satifisfied with one "sound signature" doesn't mean you can't like another.

x2 i totally agree. deleted the es7=love them cause i havent heard those but anyway you get the idea... for an es7 substitute i can also slap in...

AD2000 = LOVE THEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back