If I like Dire Straits...
Dec 2, 2006 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EvilDwarf

100+ Head-Fier
... I might also like: ?

I'd be glad for some recommendations of similar music. I normally listen to metal, but recently I'm really digging into Dire Straits. Their music is so nice, clean and groovy and this wonderful guitar sound...

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 10
What are the Dire Straits albums that you have heard and liked? Original issue or remastered? You might enjoy some of Mark Knopfler's solos albums. "Golden Heart" and "Sailing to Philadelphia" come to mind as the most like Dire Straits sound. Both CDs are HDCD processed, which (if your CD player has the capacity) provides a pretty lush sound.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the Dire Straits albums that you have heard and liked? Original issue or remastered? You might enjoy some of Mark Knopfler's solos albums. "Golden Heart" and "Sailing to Philadelphia" come to mind as the most like Dire Straits sound. Both CDs are HDCD processed, which (if your CD player has the capacity) provides a pretty lush sound.

I particularly like "Dire Straits" and "On Every Street". I have the original non-remastered versions.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I particularly like "Dire Straits" and "On Every Street". I have the original non-remastered versions.

I feel completely confident in recommending to you the new remasters of "Communique" and "Making Movies"

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Might check out the self-titled Television reunion from about 1992. Tom Verlaine has a great guitar sound on his own, but when he and Richard Lloyd are together it turns to magic. Trading solos as the guitars become intertwined. Really a thing of beauty. That album does remind me a bit of the early Dire Straits sound, more fluid than the early Television and not as topical, less ground breaking. But still very nice.

Big favorite from the mid 90s is Paul K and the Weathermen Love is a Gas. Nice sounding CD too. Just on the little Alias Records, but should be a classic. Bit more adventurous than Dire Straits, but I said a lot about it in the past ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...98#post1687598

Might also enjoy Luna's Bewitched CD. One of the last performances by the great Sterling Morrison too. Big favorite of mine, and they carry on that twin guitar sound. Songs flow from one to another like honey. Quirky but not undecipherable lyrics. Great guitar playing from Dean and Sean Eden (displaced Canadian living in NYC who was added to the lineup after the first album was recorded) as well as the Velvet Underground's very own rhythm spoil to Lou Reed's drone, Sterling Morrison, guesting on a couple of the songs. And as always, drummer Stan Demeski brings along some of his distinctive Feelies feel, albeit slightly toned down on this one. Ten songs without a duffer in the bunch, opening with the wonderful "California (All The Way)", followed by the very fun "Tiger Lily" and then one of my very favorites in the first guest spot for the distinctive Sterling Morrison, "Friendly Advice", that goes on effortlessly for 6 1/2 minutes with one of the best extended guitar workouts of its time. And when they get to the middle of the album and "This Time Around", with the Hammond Organ and vibes, I'm so there. Very cool listen. Kind of an indie rock classic in my mind, if you can have indie rock from Time Warner. Sure, I love Dean's previous band Galaxie 500, and Luna can never really take the place in my mind of that much more groundbreaking band, but they're still one of my favorites, and the aptly titled Bewitched is more of a goto type album for me than any of the others.

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 10
How about:

Notting Hillbillies "Missing .... Presumed Hiving a Good Time"

It's Mark Knopfler and friends. Kinda folksy with acoustic guitars (I think). It does sound like they are having a good time.

The last song "Feel like going home" has moved me to tears more than once.

Mitch

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Private Investigations is a AWESOME compilation. Even includes that new song with emmylou harris, all the road running
biggrin.gif
Did you know that Mark also plays in a song with Phil Lynott (thin lizzy) called Kings Call <- a song about the night that Elvis died.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for your recommendations guys. I'll check 'em out as soon as I can. I've already listened to Luna, which I like very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back