If I get a CD Player from Canada, will there be Customs Fees?
Feb 10, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 17
If the CD player is marked as "used" on the shipping declaration, commercial invoice and any other paperwork; my experience has been that it will escape with no extra customs gouging. I sold the majority of my high-end audio gear to US buyers (including my own CD player for $465-US), and all received their items without any extra customs charges or taxes. If the player you are buying is in fact used, ask the seller to indicate that on the shipping forms. I do this whenever I sell and ship to the US, and I've asked that people let me know if they incurred any extra charges. So far, no one has...not even the guy I sold my amp to for $900-US! I checked back with everyone I shipped to just to make sure and to satisfy my own curiousity. That one little word (used), seems to make alot of difference.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the player you are buying is in fact used, ask the seller to indicate that on the shipping forms. I do this whenever I sell and ship to the US, and I've asked that people let me know if they incurred any extra charges.

I have followed this same practice with no troubles at all. Used merchandise really should be clearly marked as such. There is no checkbox on the declaration form for this, so it needs to be hand-written in the description of the goods.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
courierdriver, when you sent the items did you declare them to the original value?

Also if it is insured for $200 and marked as USED will there be any problem?

If you mean, "did you declare the item(s) at what you yourself, originally paid for it/them"; then, no. I declare items at the purchase price plus shipping. In your case, declaring $200 value and marked USED, is truthful, and no problem at all.

Quote:

I have followed this same practice with no troubles at all. Used merchandise really should be clearly marked as such. There is no checkbox on the declaration form for this, so it needs to be hand-written in the description of the goods.

That's a great point, and one I hadn't thought to mention! Thanks for the input. Yes, USED should be placed in the hand-written description of goods on all copies of that document, as well as the shipping form/waybill for the shipping service. I usually print it in BLOCK LETTERS and underline USED. I've seen some people use highlighters on the paperwork, too. As long as the "parcel-police" see used prominantly displayed, it usually passes without extra charge.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 17
Marking something as a gift when it's clearly not, is falsification and could result in your package being detained at customs for a lengthy period of time. Not to mention, they might decide to charge extra for the hassel of having to investigate and determine if your item is actually a gift or not. Better not chance it. If you were to have bought/received your item in December (around Christmastime) your chances might be a little better, but I doubt it. I have seen items I delivered to people marked as gifts, and still get dinged duties, taxes, and brokerage charges. You're best off to be truthful. So, out of curiousity...what CD player did you buy?
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the total transaction is under $200, there should not be any customs fees.

Can you imagine: When shipping INTO Canada, only packages under $20. have no customs fees+ taxes!!

$200 to USA, <$20 to Canada.

Long live the Free Trade Agreement!!(sarcastic
rolleyes.gif
)

regards

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I bought Cambridge Audio 640c.

Sweet! Nice player; great build, good transport, digital output, detatchable power-cord... and a good price. Congrats! I hope your purchase makes it to you safely, and that you escape any extra charges. Enjoy your new toy!
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Customs duties, brokerage fees and the like are always separate charges and never "built into the shipping".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back