If I buy Westone 3s for use with my iPod, will I need an amp?
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
strange i've only ever experienced amps removing hiss, not adding it. good HP out vs LOD->amp noticable difference. regular HP out vs LOD->amp not in a different legue but close. the W3 benefit quite a bit from an amp. you dont NEED one to enjoy the sound but if you want to get the most out of those expensive little IEMs then you will need one. add an imod/DIYMOD later = heaven
L3000.gif

I have no idea what an imod is. Could you enlighten me, or link to me somewhere where I can learn more?

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah thanks again.

my iPod doesn't even apply, though.

Guess not. I have a 5.5g iPod, but $250 plus cable/dock ain't happening for me either.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 55
yeah, I'm going to go for an icon mobile. It sounds like it performs up to snuff with IEMs, which is all I'm using it with. I'll probably wind up wishing I got a P-51, but whatever. Maybe if I ever win the lottery. Scratch that, if I win the lottery I'm getting a Sennheiser Orpheus.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess not. I have a 5.5g iPod, but $250 plus cable/dock ain't happening for me either.

there are DIY options that are just as good IMO

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 55
Definitely not. Westone is fully aware that 99.99999% of Ipod owners do not use an amp and surely kept this in mind. Sure W3 is a more higher level premium product but you don't make an IEM with intentions that you need an amp to make it excel. (are you listening Etymotic?)

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #24 of 55
How would it work with a sony player and for example the new mustang amp from ray's ?
I haven't seen any LOD's for Sonyplayers.. I have a s639 player.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #25 of 55
The W3's sound fantastic out of an iPhone, or a Nano headphone jack.

But, they start to sound absolutely surreal when amped through an RSA Mustang.

(can't comment on other amp synergy with W3, except RSA Tomahawk, which is also good, but not nearly as good as with the Mustang).

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3's sound fantastic out of an iPhone, or a Nano headphone jack.

totally agree, i'm using my w3 with iphone 3g for two weeks and it did sound great. i only use an amp either at work or home.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 55
The Westone 3's sound better than any other headphone I have used with my iPod, but I know it HAS to sound better with an amp (and I have a Mustang on order). The poor, gutless onboard amp starts to lose it at little over 60% volume. I can hear the sound start to "fall apart". Even my noisy laptop headphone jack has more umph!

For pure portability W3's and an iPod works quite well, but if you really want it to sound good, I think an amp would be worth the investment...

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 55
I have a P-51 Mustange I use with my Westone 3s, and it's pretty easy to cart around with my iPhone or Nano. No question that the sound is better with the Mustang. But the sound is also quite enjoyable without the amp.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are DIY options that are just as good IMO

No doubt, but I am a total DIY clod. My iPod 5.5g (inherited from teenager) has a busted headphone jack, and I got a replacement part on ebay for $12. But I am scared to death of opening it up and doing the fix (there even is a video on the Web that shows you how). Funny part is, I only really use the iPod with the LOD cable and an amp, since it sounds so freaking good, and I have other DAPs for HP out listening (Sony, Zune, Touch, etc).

Any DIY headfier want to make an easy $20 (did that come out wrong)?

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #30 of 55
ok, I changed my mind and have a few new questions.

I've decided that there's absolutely no point in buying an amp that's anything less than the one I want most, because I will just replace it later. I'm going to buy Westone 3s, and wait to get a p51.

Now for my questions. What is an LOD, do I need one, and what's a good one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back