If I buy Westone 3s for use with my iPod, will I need an amp?
Dec 16, 2008 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

thatguyoverthere

100+ Head-Fier
Basically, it's exactly what the topic says. I have a 160 GB iPod classic, filled nearly completely with lossless audio burned straight from CDs. I'm by no means an audiophile, in fact my ears are relatively mediocre and I have only a little actual understanding of most of the terms people here use (I still have no idea what treble is or how to recognize it). All I know is that I love listening to music, and while I may not be able to tell you why some sound quality is better than others, I can definitely tell whether or not it is.

So, with that said, I plan on purchasing Westone 3s some time in the near future. I've pretty thoroughly researched all the high level in-ear headphones and I've determined those are definitely the ones I want most. Now, I'm currently using Senheisser CX500s, which are barely strong enough to differentiate between 256 kb/s and lossless, so I'm hoping I'll be pretty thoroughly impressed. Anyway, to get to the point, will I need a portable amp, or is the iPod Classic strong enough that I can manage without one? If I do need one, what's the smallest one you can recommend?

Thanks in advanced.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 55
An amp will really only improve on an already great sound. Amps just further define the sound signature of iems.

Iems are made to work out of a portable source like an ipod. So no, you don't need an amp. You may want one eventually though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 55
If you read some of the Westone 3 threads you might find the post from Earphone Solutions in which they clearly state that a portable amp is not necessary with the W3's. I can tell you that I have tried the 3's with and without my Pico, and I prefer the amped sound. I'll leave the portable amp recommendations to others...

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 55
No, you will not NEED an amp, but when I listen to my Touch 2G with the LOD cable I bought from a fellow Head-Fi'er along with the MiniboxE+ or the new NuForce Icon Mobile I purchased, my ears and the part of my brain that appreciates great music/sound thank me. Some say the amp/LOD makes no difference on the Touch or other iPods. I just have another POV.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 55
Westone work very well directely from an Iphone.
I use an amp when i want better sound with my Imod and then...
you change the Game.
Great synergie with mini 3 and all RSA Amp.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 55
Wow, that was fast!! Thanks guys!

anyway, I knew it wasn't technically necessary, but if the difference was substantial enough, then I might have needed to buy one. For now, I'll go with the W3 and consider getting an amp later.

That p-51 is nice, but there's no way I can afford one right now. If I did buy an amp, then I'd definitely get something that size. That's an important factor to me, because my iPod spends the majority of its time in my pocket.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I buy Westone 3s for use with my iPod, will I need an amp?

No. You can appreciate what high-end in-ear earphones have to offer with an iPod Shuffle and the wind in your face.

Some amps add hissing to the sound. The "portability" would obviously be affected.

I remember when I had a Nikon lens zoom 80-200mm. Beautiful pics, but...

I also remember envying all the other people enjoying their families and surroundings with their point and shoot cameras and not worrying about too much gear like I had to. Lesson learned. The expensive photo gear now stays in the cabinet and my Sony point and shoot goes everywhere I go in my jeans pocket.

Too much stuff and you lose focus on what really matters.

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the possibility of getting the Emmiline tomahawk?

That is about the size I want, and the price point would eventually be affordable for me.

The Tomahawk is a nice little amp. If you can afford it, it's a good choice...

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Icon Mobile threads. I really like the sound, and mine isn't even burned in yet. Around $100.

Ah, thanks. Do you think the difference will be substantial with Westone 3s?

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 55
Look in the Portable Headphone Amps forum. It's here. The amp is sold on Amazon. Very slick form factor, and a very nice company, NuForce. I am going to burn it in for a week or so, but even out of the box it sounds very, very nice. I also have the W3s, but can't listen until Xmas (promised my wife, since it's her gift to me). I did "audition" them for 30 minutes or so when they arrived. I liked them a lot. But looking forward to opening the box. Not sure what the impact, if any, the Icon Mobile will have on the W3s. Some have heard the combo, and may post here.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/p...uforce-370729/

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 55
strange i've only ever experienced amps removing hiss, not adding it. good HP out vs LOD->amp noticable difference. regular HP out vs LOD->amp not in a different legue but close. the W3 benefit quite a bit from an amp. you dont NEED one to enjoy the sound but if you want to get the most out of those expensive little IEMs then you will need one. add an imod/DIYMOD later = heaven
L3000.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 55
I am listening to the W3 via a Hornet M and made many checks over the last two weeks comparing the sound amped to directly out of iPod 160gb. My experience is that it IS better with the amp - more life, more energy, more enjoyment. However, that is most apparent with good quality recordings with natural instruments. Electronic, most Pop etc. shows little difference.
Simple A-B tests that made me change the plug back and forth showed less difference than extended listening on one followed by extended listening on the other.
I still do cary the Hornet with me - bulky but worth it for me.
Btw, I have not yet checked with the Tomahawk. I put it in a drawer once I got the Hornet as the benefit it brought was much smaller. So small a benefit that I would not carry it around (despite it being smaller!). Thus my lesson is: if you go for an amp go for a good one, otherwise the extra box is not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back