If Altec-uhp336 is super.fi 3 rebadged then why bother UE?
Apr 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gackt_2305

New Head-Fier
The UHP336 is only $40 (amazon) and super.fi 3 is like $100 or so, so the question is, if they were using the same driver than why bother buying UE? isn't that clear that UHP336 is the must to buy one? help me decide this two plz.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 10
normally, the uhp's are listed at close to $99, they just do a $39 sale every now and then. Really, there's no advantage of buying one brand over the other as they are indeed the same thing. The only difference being that you can get the sf3's in more than 1 color, and I think the UE might include an attenuator & airline adapter, as well as a better carrying case. The UHP case is just a crappy foam zip-up, while I think the UE's use a better metal casing. Headphone & sq-wise, they're identical.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 10
I always said they were identical but they are not to my ears. The Altec has less separation and more bass. The Altec is more balanced overall but I like the more mid-forward SF3(I've had two of those). The only difference I know is the Altec talks of venting while the UE does not talk of the drivers being vented.

Modded to their full potential, the 3 was one of the best I have heard. Modded, I find the Altec a slight notch below the Phonaks in SQ and somewhat similar to the Phonak with black filter. SF 3 would be more akin to the gray filter sound. A big difference is the speed where the Altec is a step slow versus the 3.

I would have to say the Altec would be the better sounding phone stock to most people(not me though) since many won't like less bass and the greater separation many people take as thin sounding. I'd say the Altec does sound more full to my ears.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks jant71. I find what your comparison very interesting because 1) I too thought the UHP336 and super.fi 3 were the same and 2) the way you describe the UHP336's sound seems to match what I'm hearing out of my SF3. I wonder if UE made yet another revision that somehow altered the sound. Honestly, I would have preferred the sound of the "old" SF3 as you described it, since I think my pair lacks some treble and separation.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks Guys, So they sound different heh. I think i'm gonna but the Altec because the price is incompare able with the ue. Yes the sound might different but is it that big? I mean since they use the same driver than it could not be that big of different right? CMIIW

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 10
How is the warranty handled with the rebranded UE products (i know M-Audio has them too)? I mean, I'm sure their resources and support would drastically fall short of UE themselves.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Not to revive an old thread on purpose, but i have a pair of the UHP336s and its almost impossible to get a gd seal or even wear them properly, have no such problems with my friend's super fi 5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back