If a tle2426 only handles 20-40ma, can i limit batteries current with a resistor?
Apr 4, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr
So thedoctor, when a unbuffered ground channel is used in a buffered left/right design it actually uses more current? I understand how the 2426 could be used to create Vgnd and the 134/buf would create the Ognd, but this wouldn't raise the overall current draw even higher than what I have now? (appx. 130 mA)

Yes the ground channel opamp uses current.

If you are concerned about current you might need to rethink your topology (as-is already), since 130mA is already very high. What would cause that? Two single channel opamps for L & R plus 4 stacked BUF634 in wide bandwidth mode?

A three channel amp (opamp in L, R, & Gnd) can use about 24mA, maybe 5mA more for misc. things like a TLE2426 and an LED. Put a BUF634 in L & R channel and you're up to almost 60mA (depending on how wide the bandwidth is set). 130mA is usually overkill though, even for class A.

Apr 4, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
I know from personal experience that a TLE2426 will do MUCH better than a typical opamp (those with modest short-current rating like 50mA or less). Supposedly someone had done some tests and found it can 'sink 80mA or so total.

I think the tests you're referring to were in a circuit with large capacitors on the TLE's output. In that case, the TLE isn't supplying all the current. All the TLE is doing is maintaining the midpoint level.

That's the upside of using caps on the output of the TLE. The downside is described in my virtual grounds article, linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back