IEM's with heavy bass and comfort.
Mar 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jayxem

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to pick up a pair of IEMs that provide hard hitting bass but clean and tight response. I listen to mostly dubstep music.

I just picked up a pair of Denon D2000s and IM portable AMP to start off with. I've totally loving the quality of the Denon's just wish it had a bit more punch.

Now I'm looking for a pair of IEMs to listen too while laying in bed on my MBP and hit hard. Comfort is a serious plus because usually I'll be using them for relaxing in bed and possibly just fall asleep with on (some heavy bass while dreaming sounds too perfect in my mind).

It seems from browsing around that the IE6 & IE7 solid for bass and SQ. Another others you guys recommend?

Are IEMs comfortable enough to take naps with? Or am I just dreaming up an idea in my head that goes to far...

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 20
As far as budget is concerned I don't want to go past the $200 mark. I looked up the IE6's real quick and found them on Amazon for $192 I believe. That isn't even bargain shopping for them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 20
That is pretty expensive. You can even get a IE 7 over here at that price. Due to the low sterling, best is to import from somewhere like Advanced MP3 Player.

IE6: £106/$153 inc. fedex international delivery. In stock.

Or get the Monster Turbine. Heard that they are great, and the price is well within your budget.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 20
X2 on the turbine, if you like it clean and hard hitting. I have the atrios, and they have lots of deep bass, but its not that clean and it hits pretty softly.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Damn I wish I could get the IE7s for cheaper in the USA.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 20
Hey fellow dustep fan! I would heartily recommend the Monster Turbines. I got them mainly for how I expected them to sound with dubstep and I was not disappointed. They provide the kind of bass punch and detail that sounds awesome for dubstep and work pretty well with other genres as well. I just did a short write up here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...6/#post5556628

As for comfort, IEMs really vary in perceived comfort depending on the individual wearing them. To me, the Turbines feel nice, heavy and solid when I hold them in my hand but that weight disappears when I wear them and I don't have problems with isolation or them coming loose with normal use.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 20
By from a Canadian website?

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 20
Another vote for the Turbine, especially if you want to feel bass (and high-quality bass, not car-thumping bass) without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum. Great value at their $150 street price, so far excellent build quality and fit.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 20
Gotta throw in a plug for the Klipsch Image X10. Excellent well controlled bass that has some good impact without muddying up the upper ranges of the spectrum. They're on amazon for 190 right now.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anomaly10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta throw in a plug for the Klipsch Image X10. Excellent well controlled bass that has some good impact without muddying up the upper ranges of the spectrum. They're on amazon for 190 right now.

Nice price as well.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 20
Wow thanks for all the input on this... looks like I definitely need to check out the Turbines and read up on them.

From what people are describing how they sound it's more or less what I'm looking for. It's hard to find a solid pair of speaker/monitors, sub, or headphones that I've heard (not many but Denon does well) that reproduces the sound of a bass wobble well.

@DKTZ would you say they do well with the dubstep tracks with heavy wobble and diva vocals thrown on top? The D2000's do an amazing job with clearly hitting on the highs and lows but don't punch as much.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayxem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@DKTZ would you say they do well with the dubstep tracks with heavy wobble and diva vocals thrown on top? The D2000's do an amazing job with clearly hitting on the highs and lows but don't punch as much.

Diva vocals? I'm afraid that most of my dubstep collection doesn't utilize vocals. One of the few tracks I have that does, Double Face by Milanese (YouTube - Milanese - Double Face (Featuring Kate Kestrel)), sounds really good to me both on the vocals and wobble. The bass is more pronounced than the vocals, but you can still hear the vocals clearly.

In terms of heavy wobble only, Bahl Fwd by Skream (YouTube - DISTANCE & SKREAM-BAHL FWD) sounds really nice as well. You really notice the slight variations in volume and pitch, nothing like the constant drone or buzz you get with lesser earphones. Also, the Turbines do have punch and they punch hard.

I'm curious though, what artists are you listening to that combine dubstep and diva vocals?

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 20
I will give a X2 on the Klipsch Image x10... For how small they are, they have more bass than you will ever need. Not only do they have the bass, they are hands down the most comfortable headphones you will ever use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back