IEMs with great clarity and soundstage, unamped for iPod Touch
May 30, 2010 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

andare

New Head-Fier
Hi, I read through all the IEM threads but I couldn't find a simple answer: what would be the ideal IEMs to use unamped that have a great soundstage and clarity?
I have an iPod Touch, don't plan on amping. I'm considering the Apple in-ears but I read that they have no isolation and a weird fit. RE0 scare me because they lack bass, I'm not a bass head but I'm used to my Sennheiser 485's so I like fun headphones. My only experience with IEMs is the Sennheiser CX300, bloated bass and zero clarity. Too boomy.

Any suggestions? Price range would be 50-100 $

May 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 11

A set of universal stage monitors will put you right on the stage.  But I can't help you on price. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andare /img/forum/go_quote.gif  What would be the ideal IEMs to use unamped that have a great soundstage and clarity?  
Price range would be 50-100 $

You said ideal, which is satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable, that’s the UM3x.  If you must limit yourself to that price, the best bet might be the UM1.  A real stage monitor at your price point.  You can still get those with a two year warranty for a hundred.  They can be a bargain because Westone is moving in the newer Weston 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andare    I have an iPod Touch, don't plan on amping.

The Weston’s are reported to have plenty of sensitivity and will play loud, with minimum distortion with out an amp on your Apple.  For what you say that you want,  it would seem that even an entry-level real monitor would be better than some consumer product for your needs.

May 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Awesome IEMs threads: {1,2,3

KLS is always so helpful 
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 11
I just bought an iPod Touch 64gb, and wanted a good IEM. I settled on the Etymotic ER-4P. A little more than you wanted to spend, but I think you may enjoy them. (about $175 on Amazon) They have some great clarity and the separation is nice. I wrote some initial impressions, which you can find here. I didn't think I would ever be able to tolerate IEM's, having returned a set of TF10's, but I'm finding these pretty comfy after some experimentation with the different tips they provide. By the way, it is said the Ety's are a bit light on bass, but I'm not sure I agree. I think they are are very flat and uncolored, which is desirable to some, including me. I personally prefer a phone that reproduces things accurately, after which I can always alter through EQ if I want.

=743]

May 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 11

For about 70 or 80 bucks you can get the ER6i.Soundstage is not exceptional but the clarity is phenomenal.Almost everything sounds muddy after having listened to some Etymotics.

May 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 11
DO NOT get an etymotic if you want a fun pair of headphones.

The RE0 is a fantastic IEM but it might not be best for you. I do think that you would like the RE-ZERO (limited edition brother of the RE0 with lower impedance and bigger bass). Clarity is amazing, but soundstage is only somewhat above average with the stock double flange tips.

As for currently available IEMs, the UM1 is probably a good choice. Also look at the Fischer Eterna or SBA. Fischer is known for really fun IEMs.

The iPod touch has a powerful output (especially 2nd gen and up). You should not need to worry about amping at all, especially with any IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back