iem's with detailed vocals and strong clear bass
Jan 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

corsabrin

New Head-Fier
I am looking for iem's that sound great with female vocals and has strong bass that goes deep and doesn't muddy up the mid range. Treble can be rolled off as I am sensitive to too much treble and get fatigued easily.

My budget is around $100 and have been looking at the Share se215's, but I think the bass might get too muddy. The Yamaha eph 100 seem good but are out of my price range.

Any suggestions on other models? I listen to a wide variety of music. I would like an item that would sound great with Loreena McKennit as well as being able to go deep for dubstep.

Thanks in advance

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 17
The Sony XB90EX are great for bassheads who looking for overall crisp, clear performance and wide soundstage. The other IEMs like JVC FXD80, Yamaha EPH100, Klipsch Image X10 and UE TF10Pro (used) are highly recommended too.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 17
SE215 are not too muddy actually and would suit you well

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 17
I initially thought the se 215 would be exactly what I was looking for, but the more reviews I read the more it sounded like the bass bleeds into the mid range muddying up the sound stage.

How is the separation on these? Can I easily pick out instruments in a live performance? I don't want a closed cramped presentation.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 17
I feel that the Klipsch X10s have amazing vocal response, youll hear every word loud and clear. And the bass is incredible as well, not too boomy yet not too soft. Not muddy or muffled at all and does not bleed into the mids even in the slightest. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 17
Separation is good, better than some models out there, and also build quality is top notch.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I feel that the Klipsch X10s have amazing vocal response, youll hear every word loud and clear. And the bass is incredible as well, not too boomy yet not too soft. Not muddy or muffled at all and does not bleed into the mids even in the slightest. 

+1 for this

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 17
When I think Klipsch I think of piercing treble, at least from their home theater speakers which I am more familiar with than their iem's.  Would this be true for the X10's?  Reviews on the treble are mixed as always.  Some stating treble is too hot and fatiguing, while others say its toned down for a Klipsch product.  I am really sensitive to treble and get fatigued really easily if the treble is over emphasized.  With the X10 having such a small diver, wouldn't that limit its bass output?  The last thing I want is to have an iem with too much treble and not enough bass.

Thanks again for your responses.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 17
The way you asking this... there is one IEM very suitable for you but it costs about 1k USD.

Sennheiser IE800.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
When I think Klipsch I think of piercing treble, at least from their home theater speakers which I am more familiar with than their iem's.  Would this be true for the X10's?  Reviews on the treble are mixed as always.  Some stating treble is too hot and fatiguing, while others say its toned down for a Klipsch product.  I am really sensitive to treble and get fatigued really easily if the treble is over emphasized.  With the X10 having such a small diver, wouldn't that limit its bass output?  The last thing I want is to have an iem with too much treble and not enough bass.

Thanks again for your responses.

The small driver only has a little bit to do with its bass output, the seal that you get when you put them in your ear probably has a bigger effect. As for the treble I find it very smooth and not harsh at all, perfect for mid volume listening sessions of Metallica or A7K. 

If you decide to get them and discover that the bass or treble is not to your liking, you can always use an equalizer, one comes built into iTunes and most Apple products with screens, as well as Windows Media Player. It has pre-programmed settings for things like bass and treble booster, as well as bass and treble reducer should you find the treble too harsh. You can even install an equalizing program to your computer with the same preset functions built in.

But that is all up to you, you will never know until you try them.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 17
X10 has one of the best bass in BA based headphones, I actually prefer its mid-bass boost and slow decay over cleaner bass I heard on either my w4 or jh13.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 17
SE215 are not bad actually. Klipsch x7i are on sale in Canada at Future Shop for $99.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 17
Seems to me that TDK BA200 might be the perfect one for you. The bass might not be hammering your ears, but is still very good while the vocals... you're gonna be in heaven. And the treble won't interfere with anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back