IEMs with detachable cables, ~$250?
Nov 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PretentiousFood

100+ Head-Fier
I realized these threads are a bit cliche but I wasn't able to find anything really helpful serching joker's multi-iem review or elsewhere. Here's hoping someone might be able to help. :)

I think there is something wrong with my ears. Every cable I've used has hardened and split within a year. I've been through a Westone UM1, a DBA-02 and even an Ortofon e-Q5- the last one only lasted just over three months, despite being known for its great build quality. The cables became ridiculously stiff after just a few weeks of use. The only cable that hasn't gone stiff on me was the MEElec M6/M9 one.

Fortunately I was able to get all of these replaced on warranty but I'm looking for a more permanent solution, and I think removable cables are my only option at this point. I can't think of many options that fit the budget though. Ideally, I'd be looking for something well rounded similar to the e-Q4. Clarity and mids/upper-mids are most important to me but I found the DBA-02 a little over-the-top.

Is there anything at all at this price point? I know the Ety ER4 had a removable cable adapter at some point, do these still work? If not, I'd be okay throwing another $50 or so at it. I wouldn't mind customs if they provide better SQ than universals at this price point, but I haven't found much besides 1964's single-driver.

Any suggestions are super appreciated! Thanks!

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply! I thought it was only the 535 and 215 that had it, but guess not. The SE425 is looking pretty tempting now. What sort of cables do you recommend that aren't too expensive?

Are there any comparisons of the SE425 and ER-4? Both are well reviewed, it's hard to choose...

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 11
The UM3x, SM3 V2, RE272, EX7550 (highely recommended) and HJE900.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 11
My suggestion:

If you want removal cables:
Bass: Look at dynamic drivers, like IE8's etc
Non-bass (or literally no bass): look at the se535's, westone's

I remember thinking the need of detachable cables, but in reality found it annoying and a little useless - I change my earphones almost every year, and they are always in perfect condition. I thought getting detachable wires would save me from buying other pairs etc.

I had the denon C710's with their super thin (bad cabling) and they didn't even have a single break on them....they were in perfect condition after a year
And i was biking, playing sport with them on etc...

Long story short, detachable cables IMO are a little over-rated, especially seeing as usually you pay more for that functionality. 

Oh and cable doesn't make THAT much of a difference...I would look into buying quality earphones, rather than quality wires.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the replies guys.

The UM3x is sort of pushing the budget but could be interesting with coupon codes, thanks for the tip, ZARIM- hadn't even considered that one. Couldn't find much on the EX7550, are they the same as the MDR-7550? The SM3 is way over my budged though and I can't find the HJE.

I'd rather not use removable cables at all but it seems I don't have a choice. I destroyed the ortofons in three months and I only ever used them at my desk. It would just be nice to have some I could replace on the cheap every few months if they get too stiff and crack.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
The UM2 RC came out a while ago but I believe they are still an excellent pair. The Westone cable is also very durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back