IEMs with best isolation
Apr 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jazzdude

New Head-Fier
I have been using Shure e3s with the black olives and need to replace the e3s. Isolation is extremely important to me due to a commute on public transit. As I mentioned in another thread, I am also looking for nice warm sounding phones with decent bass (which the e3 is sorely lacking) and nice mids/highs without harshness primarily for listening to classic jazz but also for classic rock, classical and some pop/rock. I recently purchased the Nuforce NE-7Ms and am reasonably happy with sound quality, but I can't get the isolation I want, even with the Comply tips.

What are the best isolating IEMs on the market -- or at least comparable to the Shures with the olives -- that are comfortable and will also give me the sound signature/quality I am looking for? I would also consider noise canceling headphones if that would do a good job?

A little additional information: I am using an Ipod Touch 2G which will not be amped and will be using these almost entirely during a commute. I don't really have a specific price point in mind, but spending less is always better if the othe factors are up to par.
smile_phones.gif
I would like these to be a step up from the e3s sound wise (or at least bass wise) and if I have to give a price, I would say no more than $250, but I would prefer to pay considerably less, if possible.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch Image X10, Etymotic ER4P, Monster Turbines (using triple flange tips), Shure SE530's (triple flange).

X2 for the Klipsch Image X10.

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 13
I wonder if the X10 uses the same silicone tips as the Custom 3's?

If that's the case, the JAYS d-Jays are far superior to isolation compared to the Custom 3's.
The silicone is just physically thicker, at least for my ears it blocks out noise better.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 13
If the Klipsch Customs work with the Shure Olives, that may be a good bet. I suspect the sleeve has more to do with the isolation than the IEM itself and the Shures seem to work for me (although the Comply tips are more comfortable). My experience with silicone tips has not been great, but perhaps there is something out there that would change my mind.

I would love to be able to try out a few IEMs, but it seems most places will not allow a return of them. I'll have to see if I can find a place with a return policy.

Would the Klipsch do well with acoustic jazz? My Shures are a bit harsh and I hear little if any of the bass.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 13
Etys are one of the top 3 most isolating IEMs.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Etymotics.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Klipsch Customs work with the Shure Olives, that may be a good bet. I suspect the sleeve has more to do with the isolation than the IEM itself and the Shures seem to work for me (although the Comply tips are more comfortable). My experience with silicone tips has not been great, but perhaps there is something out there that would change my mind.

I would love to be able to try out a few IEMs, but it seems most places will not allow a return of them. I'll have to see if I can find a place with a return policy.

Would the Klipsch do well with acoustic jazz? My Shures are a bit harsh and I hear little if any of the bass.

yeah they should do it quite well, the custom 1 not so much but the 2 should be alright and the 3 quite good. the 3 has quite a bit more on the low end than the 2 does but the 3 for some reason has a horrible cable on it. fit wise they are all identical though.

not sure if still going but the custom 2 were going for about us$100 on amazon recently and i think for that money they are great value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back