IEMs: Was I Right About Comfort?
Oct 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RobWilde

Head-Fier
Hello. As a teenager, over twenty years ago, I used a mixture of in ear and on ear devices, and decided that in ear ones gave me headaches. Therefore, for twenty years, I have used exclusively on ears headphones when outdoors or in. I'm settled indoors, but to be honest getting in ear for the gym or something easily pocketable / convenience is tempting.

What I want to ask before I purchase a test is: is the whole 'in ear gives me headaches' an actual thing that I was right to conclude, or was I wrong? It's been a while. I was right about, ahem, everything back then.

Thanks for the slightly weird questions.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, iems can cause discomfort and pain. Some nozzles have a larger diameter and deeper insertion (giggity) than others.

Personally I found the Blessing 2 Dusk very uncomfortable.

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 7
Never had this issue myself, but yes, it's true, and it can be a real concern.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 7
I can't bare wearing headphones so fortunately get along with IEM's really well. I prefer soft/thin silicon tips (Spinfit/Startip) and if you get the right ones for your ears (experimentation/cost) and a non-fatiguing IEM/DAP, then I can go all day without issue.

Ones I now keep and find extremely comfy all day are SE846, IER-M9, FD7 which are all small and the M9 in particular are really light weight. Most I get is an itchy ear which I pop out for a second to scratch then back in.

Oct 22, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 7
For me wearing headphones is as comfortable as wearing helmet. The most comfortable IEM would be IEMs with front vent so you don't get pressure on eardrums, small nozzles and appropriate fitting silicone.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Personally I found the Blessing 2 Dusk very uncomfortable.
I imagine the original B2 had the same dimensions and I too found it difficult to wear until I got the Moondrop mis-tips. They changed the B2 from "I can't bear to wear them longer than 30 minutes" to "I can finally listen to these comfortably for hours on end".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back