IEMs vs Full-sized headphones

In general, in a controlled environment, and price no object, I would choose:

• Total voters
Mar 27, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 26
I love my headphones but I think the SQ from my IEMs are much more enjoyable and versatile.

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #18 of 26
Without a doubt iems cannot match the general SQ of full-sized rigs. iems are for convenience or for those do not have the option to listen on full-sized rigs.
I would one hundred percent agree. I think that IEMs are a much better value, but I have never gotten a pair of IEMs that have blown me away the same way that headphones and speakers can.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 26
For me, I prefer IEMs than Headphones for these reasons:
-. It messed up my hair and make a little bit of bald spot across the middle part of my head.
-. Headphones are a lot more heavy and especially after not using my HP for quite some time, my neck will start become uncomfortable.
-. After awhile, HP will make my ears too hot (it is more prominent in the summer).
-. It takes up more space if you are travelling.

There are times when I prefer to use my HP over my IEMs and those times are:
-. When doing a live mixing as it is easier to just listen to one side of the HP. Can do it with IEM but it is much faster using HP.
-. When I am having a really bad seasonal allergies where my inner ears can get swollen thus using IEMs are very uncomfortable.
-. When I want more isolation like on the airplane or train. HP generally has better ANC than IEMs/TWS can provide.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #20 of 26
For me, I prefer IEMs than Headphones for these reasons:
-. It messed up my hair and make a little bit of bald spot across the middle part of my head.
-. Headphones are a lot more heavy and especially after not using my HP for quite some time, my neck will start become uncomfortable.
-. After awhile, HP will make my ears too hot (it is more prominent in the summer).
-. It takes up more space if you are travelling.

There are times when I prefer to use my HP over my IEMs and those times are:
-. When doing a live mixing as it is easier to just listen to one side of the HP. Can do it with IEM but it is much faster using HP.
-. When I am having a really bad seasonal allergies where my inner ears can get swollen thus using IEMs are very uncomfortable.
-. When I want more isolation like on the airplane or train. HP generally has better ANC than IEMs/TWS can provide.
have you tried using open back headphones? You can try a lighter pair which would alleviate your weight and heat concerns. IEM definitely take up less space, but some headphones like the aeon noire can fold up to make them smaller during travel.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 26
have you tried using open back headphones? You can try a lighter pair which would alleviate your weight and heat concerns. IEM definitely take up less space, but some headphones like the aeon noire can fold up to make them smaller during travel.
I have both open (Hifiman HE1000, Sundara and HE400S, etc) and closed (Sony MDR Z7, Oppo PM3, Focal Bathys, etc). I really want to try Dan Clark Stealth I always bring both HP and IEM when I am travelling. In fact, I will be going on vacation this coming April for 5 weeks and I will be bringing my Qudelix 5k + Dunu SA6 and some spare IEMs and Focal Bathys. I don't think I ever use my HP for the entire long haul flight before (12+ hours flight).

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #23 of 26
Haha definitely not portable. My woo audio wa11 and V2 is transportable but not portable. I can move rooms but not walk around with it. I'm not that one guy on the subway.
How do you like the focal bathys? People keep telling me I made an mistake with the px8
Imaging and staging is leagues better with headphones, although proper headphone rig is not convent or portable.

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #24 of 26
Haha definitely not portable. My woo audio wa11 and V2 is transportable but not portable. I can move rooms but not walk around with it. I'm not that one guy on the subway.
How do you like the focal bathys? People keep telling me I made an mistake with the px8
It's ok, and for the msrp, not worth it IMO. Around the typical $300 mark, it's probably worth it. I guess the build quality is better than the popular BT ANC headphones, and SQ is is better than all those, but not leagues better. Bass is done quite well actually for something portable like that. Generally, BT headphones tend to have horrible bass quality. Treble is where a lot of BT headphones falls apart, and this one is no exception. Tonally, pretty good compared to competitors.

If I can get treble like Focal Clear in a BT connection, I've made it. Not sure if it's possible.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #25 of 26
It's ok, and for the msrp, not worth it IMO. Around the typical $300 mark, it's probably worth it. I guess the build quality is better than the popular BT ANC headphones, and SQ is is better than all those, but not leagues better. Bass is done quite well actually for something portable like that. Generally, BT headphones tend to have horrible bass quality. Treble is where a lot of BT headphones falls apart, and this one is no exception. Tonally, pretty good compared to competitors.

If I can get treble like Focal Clear in a BT connection, I've made it. Not sure if it's possible.
Yeah, I have never been a huge fan of BT headphones but I will say the px8 does sound significantly better than the sony and bose or even sennheiser bt headphones of the world. I value the convenience a lot, since I have dedicated desktop headphones. Hopefully someone will figure it out soon so we can have amazing sound and wireless!

Maybe I just need to stick to iems and my fiio utws3 haha.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 26
In the IEM forum, there may be a bias towards IEM in the voting.

Full sized headphones:
1. Superior soundstage and usually more well rounded in strengths. Many IEM's do many things well, but may be lacking in one area, be it tuning or a specific frequency. e.g. Pure BA IEM's sometimes lack bass impact and have a subtle 'plastic' like sound.
2. Generally more comfortable and not as reliant on tip fitting
3. Scale with decent desktop setups

IEM's
1. Usually superior detail for the money spent. More intimate, in your head imaging
2. Light, portable and easy to drive
3. Reliant on tip fitting and can be uncomfortable if it's not quite right

I reach for the Audeze LCD-5 or Focal Utopia more often than the Trailii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back