IEMs vs Full Size Headphones. Can IEMs ever be as good?
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 25
I'd venture to say that my Andromeda is nearly as engaging as my HD 800S, if not more.
There is an immediacy to an IEM sound that I don't think a full-sized headphone can capture.

In terms of technicalities however, I'd say that full-sized headphones will almost always win out.

I recently read somewhere where head-fi member compared the Legend X to mid-fi level full-sized headphones.. the price difference is something to take into consideration though. For instance, an HD 650 could be bought for under $250 .. while you'd be lucky to find a used Legend X for under $1,900.

How often will you be using your full-sized headphones? An IEM? Most people tend to use their IEM much more and find their expensive full-sized headphone collecting dust. Are you the type of person that likes to escape from the world with music? Or does music just add to the experience of what you are actively doing, walking, etc? All of these things come into consideration in my opinion. I didn't think much of these things when I first came into this hobby.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #18 of 25
I'd venture to say that my Andromeda is nearly as engaging as my HD 800S, if not more.
There is an immediacy to an IEM sound that I don't think a full-sized headphone can capture.

In terms of technicalities however, I'd say that full-sized headphones will almost always win out.

I recently read somewhere where head-fi member compared the Legend X to mid-fi level full-sized headphones.. the price difference is something to take into consideration though. For instance, an HD 650 could be bought for under $250 .. while you'd be lucky to find a used Legend X for under $1,900.

How often will you be using your full-sized headphones? An IEM? Most people tend to use their IEM much more and find their expensive full-sized headphone collecting dust. Are you the type of person that likes to escape from the world with music? Or does music just add to the experience of what you are actively doing, walking, etc? All of these things come into consideration in my opinion. I didn't think much of these things when I first came into this hobby.
Good points. I have worthy Bluetooth IEMs I use at the gym, and probably would continue to use at the gym. I like portability. I do have a pair of Sony 1000XM2 which I bought for traveling, but I don't like the weight and added bulk. They're OK headphones, but I want something for when I'm relaxing, enjoying music just for the experience as well as when I'm on my computer doing something meaningless. I could easily upgrade to a nice pair of over-the-ear headphones, but I'd also like something I would take with me on a flight or a trip out of town.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Good points. I have worthy Bluetooth IEMs I use at the gym, and probably would continue to use at the gym. I like portability. I do have a pair of Sony 1000XM2 which I bought for traveling, but I don't like the weight and added bulk. They're OK headphones, but I want something for when I'm relaxing, enjoying music just for the experience as well as when I'm on my computer doing something meaningless. I could easily upgrade to a nice pair of over-the-ear headphones, but I'd also like something I would take with me on a flight or a trip out of town.

Are you looking for closed, open headphones?
Price range?

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 25
even closed hps would leak a little bit so i think you should just consider iems, or something similar.

now, i guess you need to read about some of the iems that may fit your taste.
your music preference and moreover, preferred sound signature or timbre.

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #22 of 25
Open are probably not going to work for me given the environment I’ll be using them in. I’m willing to pay up to $1500.00.

What sound signature do you generally lean towards? Or what genres of music do you mostly listen to?

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #24 of 25
Maybe it's just in my mind, but I tend to find that wearing my fullsize Sennheiser 580s which are open back give me the impression of everything being more airy and on a larger scale than iems. Not necessarily more detail though.

Also, I suppose it would be fair to say that with iems the sound (amount of bass, mid and treble) is customisable depending on what tips you need to use for your earsize and shape.

But with fullsize headphones the fit is pretty much universal. You just put them over your ears and you get the signature sound as they were intended, although obviously source and amps will effect this. I might be talking rubbish though. :D Anyway, I wear iems all the time, hardly ever use fullsize headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back