IEMs vs closed full-size headphones
Jun 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have a very basic question for all of you: how much different / better would sound a good pair of closed headphones (e.g. Denon 2000, Ultrasone 780) compared to a good pair of IEMs (e.g. my current Sleek Audio) or to custom IEMs.

Thanks for your help - I am just trying to determine whether the next step for me should be to go towards a pair of custon IEMs or full-size headphones. Another option would be to keep my current IEMs and invest in a portable amp.

Thanks!

S.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 19
It's like portable amp prices vs. home amp prices; the latter will devastate the former. In terms of price-to-performance, you get a lot more with home setup equipment.

IMO, don't buy IEMs unless you really do need decent music on the go.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 19
x2. Go for the full size cans unless you need music on the go, which would seem to be covered by your sleeks. I just bought Sleek customs, and they are some of the best IEMs that I have heard. That said, they are absolutely obliterated by any of my full sized phones.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Wow, I did not imagine that there would be so much of a difference between the customs and full size headphones. I might be sorry for my wallet soon.

I actually listen a lot at night in bed but do not want my listening experience to be a pain for my significant other. Would a pair of closed headphones such as the Ultrasone leak any sound?

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of price-to-performance, you get a lot more with home setup equipment.

Actually, I think the ratio favors IEMs due to amplification requirements (at low to mid fi).

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 19
atothex, not all headphones require amplification. actually about half headphones dont, but if were talking headphones that do require amplification then you're right.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramintop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atothex, not all headphones require amplification. actually about half headphones dont, but if were talking headphones that do require amplification then you're right.

Everything requires amplification; IEMs just require less. Really efficient, easy-to-drive headphones like Audio Technica ESWs aren't exactly renowned for their price/performance ratios. Supposedly easy-to-drive headphones like full-size ATs or Grados are actually picky as hell about quality amplification. That's not even mentioning stuff like AKGs.

If we're talking about super low end stuff like SR60s or PX100s, then I would agree with y'all. They do sound great for the price.

I don't mind being proven wrong, though. If you could give me some good examples, I'd definitely be down to check them out.
Edit: I have a Pico DAC/amp, and my go-to straight from there is an Image X5. If someone can name a better-performing full-size closed can for less money, I'd be all ears.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 19
I really liked the Etymotic ER-4S and, in my mind anyway, they still establish a benchmark for isolation, detail and intimacy that no full-sized headphones to date have matched. It's the intimate headspace that I really like in an IEM. I stopped using the Etys because I couldn't hear the telephone ringing; people had to wave their arms to get my attention.

I've owned and very much enjoyed the UE Super-fi 5Pro as well, but they are not sonically on par with the ER-4S. Some day, by the grace of God, I'd like to try some custom UE11. : )

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I have a Pico DAC/amp, and my go-to straight from there is an Image X5. If someone can name a better-performing full-size closed can for less money, I'd be all ears.

I'd be interested to hear about that too... Btw, would you say that investing in a Pico Amp was a good investment overall?

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested to hear about that too... Btw, would you say that investing in a Pico Amp was a good investment overall?

The DAC + amp was a great investment for me. I personally wouldn't go for the amp alone.

Here's where things currently stand, to the best of my knowledge:
At $350, the Pico USB DAC is unbeatable for the price; I am not aware of a better USB DAC that also costs less. It also appears to be unbeatable for the size. Throw in an extra $150, and you get a nice portable amp in the same box (no need for interconnects). $150 for an amp capable of driving IEMs at any price...

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything requires amplification; IEMs just require less. Really efficient, easy-to-drive headphones like Audio Technica ESWs aren't exactly renowned for their price/performance ratios. Supposedly easy-to-drive headphones like full-size ATs or Grados are actually picky as hell about quality amplification. That's not even mentioning stuff like AKGs.

If we're talking about super low end stuff like SR60s or PX100s, then I would agree with y'all. They do sound great for the price.

I don't mind being proven wrong, though. If you could give me some good examples, I'd definitely be down to check them out.

It really depends on what you expect. A lot of people say AD700/900/1000/2000 all sounds great without amp. Also RS1 sounds just fine without proper amplification. Some say D2000/5000/7000 sounds great too but I have no experience with them, so I wouldn't know. Anyways, my AD900/2000 and RS1 sounds fine with no desktop amplifier (although they get better with amps).

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 19
I listened to tons of headphones at CanJam last weekend, including the HF-2 and HD800. The noise on the show floor probably influenced my impressions, but to me the stars of the show were:

1. Jerry Harvey JH10x3
2. Westone UM3x
3. Headroom re-cabled Sennheiser HD600 through a Micro Stack

...roughly in that order. I know, I didn't expect it either! I was blown away with the intimacy and detail of the 2 IEMs, and because they're less reliant on amplification, they represent a very nice value as well. Just got my UM3x in the mail today, and I haven't found any music yet where they don't sound amazing. This is serious eargasm territory, folks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 19
I disagree with tintin and marching mule. I used to have the pfe's, which I have read are BAs and similar in sig to the sleeks. I really enjoyed them, but they kept cracking so I got the ad700s. The ad700 were 90usd vs pfe 130, and both are known to be really good deals. The ad700 are quite good, but there are things I miss about the pfe's. I felt the pfe's had more bass and treble impact. The ad700's mids sound very soft compared to pfe's. Also, the increased soundstage, which was the main reason I got ad700s, is not always preferable. metal does not sound as good when it is very airy. On the other hand, some electronic tracks really benefit, some bass effects really seem to surround the listener. I am not experienced enough to say which had better clarity. Overall, I like my ad700s very much, but imo they are comparable to pfes, not better in all respects.
If ad700s are close to the top for under 150 phones, and pfes are close to the top for under 150 iems, I would have to say that in that price range there is no clear winner. It depends on the needs of the user.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Many thanks to all for your impressions. It seems as though things are getting a bit more complicated than what I expected.

Would it be fair to say that IEMs narrower soundstage might be an advantage when it comes to listening to studio-like music (typical example: Norah Jones '07 album) and that full-size headphones would be at their best when it comes to live/airy music (e.g. Dire Straits' live at BBC; last album from Air, etc.)

Also, is a good pair a full-size heapdhones always better than good IEMs in terms of bass impact? I'd like more of it from my Sleeks without losing anything in the treble/mid-range and am debating whether to try a pair of full-size HP or buying an amp...

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by s_nyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks to all for your impressions. It seems as though things are getting a bit more complicated than what I expected.

Would it be fair to say that IEMs narrower soundstage might be an advantage when it comes to listening to studio-like music (typical example: Norah Jones '07 album) and that full-size headphones would be at their best when it comes to live/airy music (e.g. Dire Straits' live at BBC; last album from Air, etc.)

Also, is a good pair a full-size heapdhones always better than good IEMs in terms of bass impact? I'd like more of it from my Sleeks without losing anything in the treble/mid-range and am debating whether to try a pair of full-size HP or buying an amp...

No and no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back