IEM's very uncomfortable
Oct 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought my first pair of IEMs on impulse (head-fi + online buying makes impulse buys way too damn easy), as I needed something decent to use with my ipod. I ended up going with the Meelectronics AI-M9:

MEElectronics AI-M9 Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones

I know I probably should have tried out IEMs beforehand, but being the first IEM of mine I'm wondering if it's weird that these are extremely uncomfortable. I suspect that perhaps my ears (or ear canals to be more precise) are smaller than most, as it just feels like I'm trying to put something way too big in there. I tried the bi flange tip that they came with, and it was a bit better, but I think that was because I wasn't putting it in all the way as it felt like it was going to fall out at any second. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I did read the sticky and spend a while trying to make it feel comfortable.

Are there any known issues with these particular IEMs, and would another brand (or tip) possibly work better for me? I really want to experience comfortable IEMs like some people say it's like for them and I'm definitely willing to step up in price a bit if necessary (but not over about $75 please, and I still always prefer cheaper when possible).

I can sell these to a friend of mine for nearly full price (or possibly return them), so that doesn't really worry me. I just think that they sounded great, and if they were comfortable I would absolutely love them.

Note: I already have seen Yuin PK series mentioned a few times, but I really love isolation and the idea of IEMs makes me very happy. If I can't find something that works for me, then I'll settle for the Yuin earbuds.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought my first pair of IEMs on impulse (head-fi + online buying makes impulse buys way too damn easy), as I needed something decent to use with my ipod. I ended up going with the Meelectronics AI-M9:

I know I probably should have tried out IEMs beforehand, but being the first IEM of mine I'm wondering if it's weird that these are extremely uncomfortable. I suspect that perhaps my ears (or ear canals to be more precise) are smaller than most, as it just feels like I'm trying to put something way too big in there. I tried the bi flange tip that they came with, and it was a bit better, but I think that was because I wasn't putting it in all the way as it felt like it was going to fall out at any second. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I did read the sticky and spend a while trying to make it feel comfortable.

Are there any known issues with these particular IEMs, and would another brand (or tip) possibly work better for me? I really want to experience comfortable IEMs like some people say it's like for them and I'm definitely willing to step up in price a bit if necessary (but not over about $75 please, and I still always prefer cheaper when possible).

I can sell these to a friend of mine for nearly full price (or possibly return them), so that doesn't really worry me. I just think that they sounded great, and if they were comfortable I would absolutely love them.

Note: I already have seen Yuin PK series mentioned a few times, but I really love isolation and the idea of IEMs makes me very happy. If I can't find something that works for me, then I'll settle for the Yuin earbuds.

Give it a few days.....hopefully they'll start to feel much more comfortable. If not, the ne-6 from nuforce is only $40 and I always found them comfortable. I have smallish ear canals, and I found the best seal with using the small silicons to just plug the very beginning of my ear canal, not deeply inserted.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 16
well it can feel a bit odd at first so it may partially be that. as to how the comfort of the ones you bought compare to others I'm not really sure(though a few IEMs are well known for the fact that they are really comfortable)

I guess make sure you're using the smallest tip/sleeve that came with, and if that feels like its going to fall out then its to small, try the medium tip. If you want to stick with your current IEM you might try buying some other tips such as the comply foamies which I hear are usually pretty comforable though to my understanding they can sometimes effect the sound.

If you want to buy a new IEM you might be able to pick up a pair of UM1s used, and they are pretty well known for their comfort. You could also pick up a pair of klipsch(sp?) S4s for 80 bucks of amazon and they are also pretty well known for their comfort.

Also IEMs may not just be for you, some people just don't like/can't get used to them.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it can feel a bit odd at first so it may partially be that. as to how the comfort of the ones you bought compare to others I'm not really sure(though a few IEMs are well known for the fact that they are really comfortable)

I guess make sure you're using the smallest tip/sleeve that came with, and if that feels like its going to fall out then its to small, try the medium tip. If you want to stick with your current IEM you might try buying some other tips such as the comply foamies which I hear are usually pretty comforable though to my understanding they can sometimes effect the sound.

If you want to buy a new IEM you might be able to pick up a pair of UM1s used, and they are pretty well known for their comfort. You could also pick up a pair of klipsch(sp?) S4s for 80 bucks of amazon and they are also pretty well known for their comfort.

Also IEMs may not just be for you, some people just don't like/can't get used to them.

I never had good luck with foam tips...they always made my ears itch. That's just me though. lol

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 16
The ne-6m/7m are great phones for the price. They are pretty comfortable as well, but I can wear the klipsch image s4 all day long and probably sleep with them in.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 16
With many initially-uncomfortable IEMs (especially if you're a first-timer) you can get used to them..

or you can go custom.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ne-6m/7m are great phones for the price. They are pretty comfortable as well, but I can wear the klipsch image s4 all day long and probably sleep with them in.

I agree.....the S4's are more comfortable, but if you're trying to stay below $75 then the ne-6's are the way to go. The S4's are $80.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree.....the S4's are more comfortable, but if you're trying to stay below $75 then the ne-6's are the way to go. The S4's are $80.

Yeah thats why I suggest the nuforce ne-6/7m's. I dont know if they still come with the foam tips, but if they do they work kind of like a foam earplug. Just got to make sure the hole on the tip isnt blocked in your ear otherwise it will dramatically reduce sq, etc... Go with the ne-6/7m's and decide how you like them. Then you'll probably be back here trying to get more IEMs/Cans lol. I tried telling myself that once I get some good IEMs (Ne-7m's) I won't be back here, now look at me, ive got the s4's and getting a pair of ath-es7. And its most likely not going to stop at that either.
evil_smiley.gif
My poor bank account is dwindling away lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might just have to fork out the cash for those S4's if they really are that comfortable for so many people. Honestly comfort and them staying in my ear are the main things I want (even more than SQ) so it might be worth it. I'll spend some time checking out reviews of those as well as the ne-6/7m's.

Also based on people saying that it takes some time, I'm going to give it a few days and try to wear my M9s as much as I can. Maybe they will start to feel right to me.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 16
The Ai-M9 are pretty standard as far as fit goes. They're quite light and the housings aren't too long, so they shouldn't torque your ears or anything. Make sure that you're using small enough tips and also that you're inserting them correctly (see the IEM sticky). Also you may want to try wearing them over-the-ear.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 16
I like my klipsch s4's, but they did take a bit to break in. the gels felt right from the get go

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 16
Try and give it some time and also try wearing them behind the ear.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NimbleRabit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not plugging here, but since you asked for something more comfortable I put up in the for sale forum my UE700's. These are like micro design / tiny. Can barely tell you have them in. And sound amazing. Check out there if you think could be something. Ya never know.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 16
@NimbleRabit

Some people just never grow accustomed to canalphones, so after a while if you still feel the same way, it might just be time to move onto normal headband headphones or clip-ons. If you do grow accustomed to them, they usually provide the better noise isolation and better sound than conventional headphones.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #15 of 16
finding the right tip is more important than the right headphone if you listen to music to "have a good time".

the first thing you should try is foam tips.

i ve been using canalphones for years, but I still do not like plastic tips.

also the westone foam tips are considered the most compfortable ones.

i tried all shure, westone and UE tips and i can confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back