IEMs under $500
Jan 25, 2017 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theHof

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I'm now on my second pair of se215s which I do like a lot with comply tips.  However, my wife loves them a lot too.  I'm starting to find myself more of an IEM fan these days and listening to my Grado setup less and less.  I'm considering selling my Grados and amp to get some nicer IEMs to use with my first gen X3 (still really like it, but one of these days I'll spring for the X7 or newest X5).  My files are all flac rips from my cds or hdtracks and 7digital purchases.  I listen to a lot of genres with a little bias on jazz, prog rock and blues...  Down for any suggestions my main requirements are if they aren't custom that there are comply tips available for them...

Thans everyone.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hey Everyone,

I'm now on my second pair of se215s which I do like a lot with comply tips.  However, my wife loves them a lot too.  I'm starting to find myself more of an IEM fan these days and listening to my Grado setup less and less.  I'm considering selling my Grados and amp to get some nicer IEMs to use with my first gen X3 (still really like it, but one of these days I'll spring for the X7 or newest X5).  My files are all flac rips from my cds or hdtracks and 7digital purchases.  I listen to a lot of genres with a little bias on jazz, prog rock and blues...  Down for any suggestions my main requirements are if they aren't custom that there are comply tips available for them...

Thans everyone.

I wonder if you like Shure whether you ought to check into the SE535. I believe the Comply tips are available for it. The other one that comes to mind is the Westone W40--very nice sounding and very well-made. You might also look into the Campfire line. I haven't heard but one of them, but they are getting some really good reviews. Very, very well made. Pretty sure the Comply are also available for the W40. A few thoughts.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Jazz and prog rock.. hmmm..

For less than $500, go with Custom Art lineup.
Music One goes perfectly with jazz, but fails to make John Myung's (Dream Theater) bass line shine. M1 responds really well to EQ though.

Be warned that M1 sound signature is totally different vs SE215, bass light.

I suppose Music Two/Ei.3 solve that. I haven't demo'd them so can't comment much.

Ei.xx is GREAT for prog rock, but its bass feels a bit too much for jazz. But priced more than $500 @massdrop now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back